Mar 19, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
In a game that occasionally reminded observers of why the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals had one of the NHL’s best rivalries, Pittsburgh narrowly edged Washington 2-1 on Tuesday. Let’s get to some talking points.
- Rank your favorite streaks from the 2013 season so far. Which one do you prefer: the Chicago Blackhawks record-breaking point streak, the Penguins’ 10 consecutive wins or the Columbus Blue Jackets’ 11-game point streak (which also extended to tonight)?
- Mike Milbury just said that the Sidney Crosby–Alex Ovechkin debate is “over,” with Crosby coming out on top. Is that true?
- Is Pittsburgh’s defense for real?
- Washington is now second-to-last in the East with 25 points. Can the Capitals make a late run and salvage a playoff spot?
- Should GM George McPhee hold a fire sale instead? If so, which team could use red-hot Mike Ribeiro the most?
Finally, for Capitals fans who might be bummed out, here’s some evidence that we saw flashes of the “old” Ovechkin on Tuesday:
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 0
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)