Mar 19, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
In a game that occasionally reminded observers of why the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals had one of the NHL’s best rivalries, Pittsburgh narrowly edged Washington 2-1 on Tuesday. Let’s get to some talking points.
- Rank your favorite streaks from the 2013 season so far. Which one do you prefer: the Chicago Blackhawks record-breaking point streak, the Penguins’ 10 consecutive wins or the Columbus Blue Jackets’ 11-game point streak (which also extended to tonight)?
- Mike Milbury just said that the Sidney Crosby–Alex Ovechkin debate is “over,” with Crosby coming out on top. Is that true?
- Is Pittsburgh’s defense for real?
- Washington is now second-to-last in the East with 25 points. Can the Capitals make a late run and salvage a playoff spot?
- Should GM George McPhee hold a fire sale instead? If so, which team could use red-hot Mike Ribeiro the most?
Finally, for Capitals fans who might be bummed out, here’s some evidence that we saw flashes of the “old” Ovechkin on Tuesday:
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)