Mar 19, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
In a game that occasionally reminded observers of why the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals had one of the NHL’s best rivalries, Pittsburgh narrowly edged Washington 2-1 on Tuesday. Let’s get to some talking points.
- Rank your favorite streaks from the 2013 season so far. Which one do you prefer: the Chicago Blackhawks record-breaking point streak, the Penguins’ 10 consecutive wins or the Columbus Blue Jackets’ 11-game point streak (which also extended to tonight)?
- Mike Milbury just said that the Sidney Crosby–Alex Ovechkin debate is “over,” with Crosby coming out on top. Is that true?
- Is Pittsburgh’s defense for real?
- Washington is now second-to-last in the East with 25 points. Can the Capitals make a late run and salvage a playoff spot?
- Should GM George McPhee hold a fire sale instead? If so, which team could use red-hot Mike Ribeiro the most?
Finally, for Capitals fans who might be bummed out, here’s some evidence that we saw flashes of the “old” Ovechkin on Tuesday:
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)