Mar 19, 2013, 7:54 PM EDT
After causing many to wonder if their defense would short-circuit their Stanley Cup hopes, the Pittsburgh Penguins have been putting things together in their own end recently.
NHL.com points out a stark disparity. The Penguins allowed 36 goals in 22 periods (a little more than seven games) from Feb. 20 to the first intermission of a match against the Philadelphia Flyers on March 7; from that point, they only allowed nine goals in their last 20 periods (a little under seven contests).
That’s a long way of saying that things have gotten a lot better lately.
Maybe they’re tightening up because they’re playing without star Evgeni Malkin. Perhaps Mark Eaton‘s return has helped things out a bit. It’s likely that Marc-Andre Fleury and Tomas Vokoun have a lot to say about those goals allowed numbers, too.
Whatever the reasoning may be, Sidney Crosby & Co. insist it’s been something they’ve been working on for a while.
“I don’t think it was something that just happened then,” Crosby said. “It’s been something that’s been in our minds for a while. It just takes something to just see it and identify it and then to kind of repeat it too.
“That’s been our mindset for a long time — but it’s something that we had to get used to doing.”
The Penguins are testing that improved defense against their up-and-down rivals the Washington Capitals on NBC Sports Network right now.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)