Mar 19, 2013, 7:54 PM EDT
After causing many to wonder if their defense would short-circuit their Stanley Cup hopes, the Pittsburgh Penguins have been putting things together in their own end recently.
NHL.com points out a stark disparity. The Penguins allowed 36 goals in 22 periods (a little more than seven games) from Feb. 20 to the first intermission of a match against the Philadelphia Flyers on March 7; from that point, they only allowed nine goals in their last 20 periods (a little under seven contests).
That’s a long way of saying that things have gotten a lot better lately.
Maybe they’re tightening up because they’re playing without star Evgeni Malkin. Perhaps Mark Eaton‘s return has helped things out a bit. It’s likely that Marc-Andre Fleury and Tomas Vokoun have a lot to say about those goals allowed numbers, too.
Whatever the reasoning may be, Sidney Crosby & Co. insist it’s been something they’ve been working on for a while.
“I don’t think it was something that just happened then,” Crosby said. “It’s been something that’s been in our minds for a while. It just takes something to just see it and identify it and then to kind of repeat it too.
“That’s been our mindset for a long time — but it’s something that we had to get used to doing.”
The Penguins are testing that improved defense against their up-and-down rivals the Washington Capitals on NBC Sports Network right now.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 8
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)