Mar 14, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings were battered by injuries early this season, but things are looking up for them in that front.
Although they suffered a 5-2 loss to the Calgary Flames on Wednesday, the silver lining is that Valtteri Filppula returned from a shoulder injury and demonstrated his health by netting a power-play goal.
Darren Helm (back) has been limited to just one game this season, but he might be back as early as next Wednesday. Helm is a key part of the Red Wings’ bottom-six forwards and will help them kill penalties.
Additionally, blueliner Ian White, who missed Wednesday’s game for personal reasons, should be back on Friday.
Unfortunately, the news isn’t as good for Todd Bertuzzi, who hasn’t played since Feb. 7. His back injury is still status quo and it’s not clear when he might return.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5