Mar 14, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings were battered by injuries early this season, but things are looking up for them in that front.
Although they suffered a 5-2 loss to the Calgary Flames on Wednesday, the silver lining is that Valtteri Filppula returned from a shoulder injury and demonstrated his health by netting a power-play goal.
Darren Helm (back) has been limited to just one game this season, but he might be back as early as next Wednesday. Helm is a key part of the Red Wings’ bottom-six forwards and will help them kill penalties.
Additionally, blueliner Ian White, who missed Wednesday’s game for personal reasons, should be back on Friday.
Unfortunately, the news isn’t as good for Todd Bertuzzi, who hasn’t played since Feb. 7. His back injury is still status quo and it’s not clear when he might return.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54