Mar 14, 2013, 9:54 AM EST
The Detroit Red Wings were battered by injuries early this season, but things are looking up for them in that front.
Although they suffered a 5-2 loss to the Calgary Flames on Wednesday, the silver lining is that Valtteri Filppula returned from a shoulder injury and demonstrated his health by netting a power-play goal.
Darren Helm (back) has been limited to just one game this season, but he might be back as early as next Wednesday. Helm is a key part of the Red Wings’ bottom-six forwards and will help them kill penalties.
Additionally, blueliner Ian White, who missed Wednesday’s game for personal reasons, should be back on Friday.
Unfortunately, the news isn’t as good for Todd Bertuzzi, who hasn’t played since Feb. 7. His back injury is still status quo and it’s not clear when he might return.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 3
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)