Mar 14, 2013, 1:44 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings were in a good position Wednesday night.
Tied 2-2 with the Calgary Flames, bottom dwellers in the Western Conference standings before puck drop, going into the third period. Then, it all fell apart for the Red Wings.
The Flames scored three times in a span of four minutes and 23 seconds in the third period, resulting in a 5-2 win on home ice for Calgary.
The Flames only needed 22 shots, apparently. Meanwhile, Calgary goalie Miikka Kiprusoff was outstanding, making 36 saves.
The loss lead to a post-game tirade from Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock.
“It’s amazing to me how you can play so well and look so organized and look so talented, and then it’s almost like you get playing good, that you get loose,” Babcock told the Detroit Free Press.
“I mean, it’s crazy. We just gave it to them. It had nothing to do with them. Those are self-inflicted wounds on us. Crazy mistakes for no reason what-so-ever.
“To me, that was a disturbing loss, because all we had to do was continue to do things right, and you win the game. Whether we don’t have the maturity as a group, or the stick-to-it-ness – there’s no sense in what happened here.”
Red Wings forward Jordin Tootoo was a healthy scratch against the Flames.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)