Mar 14, 2013, 1:44 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings were in a good position Wednesday night.
Tied 2-2 with the Calgary Flames, bottom dwellers in the Western Conference standings before puck drop, going into the third period. Then, it all fell apart for the Red Wings.
The Flames scored three times in a span of four minutes and 23 seconds in the third period, resulting in a 5-2 win on home ice for Calgary.
The Flames only needed 22 shots, apparently. Meanwhile, Calgary goalie Miikka Kiprusoff was outstanding, making 36 saves.
The loss lead to a post-game tirade from Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock.
“It’s amazing to me how you can play so well and look so organized and look so talented, and then it’s almost like you get playing good, that you get loose,” Babcock told the Detroit Free Press.
“I mean, it’s crazy. We just gave it to them. It had nothing to do with them. Those are self-inflicted wounds on us. Crazy mistakes for no reason what-so-ever.
“To me, that was a disturbing loss, because all we had to do was continue to do things right, and you win the game. Whether we don’t have the maturity as a group, or the stick-to-it-ness – there’s no sense in what happened here.”
Red Wings forward Jordin Tootoo was a healthy scratch against the Flames.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 74
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)