Mar 14, 2013, 1:44 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings were in a good position Wednesday night.
Tied 2-2 with the Calgary Flames, bottom dwellers in the Western Conference standings before puck drop, going into the third period. Then, it all fell apart for the Red Wings.
The Flames scored three times in a span of four minutes and 23 seconds in the third period, resulting in a 5-2 win on home ice for Calgary.
The Flames only needed 22 shots, apparently. Meanwhile, Calgary goalie Miikka Kiprusoff was outstanding, making 36 saves.
The loss lead to a post-game tirade from Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock.
“It’s amazing to me how you can play so well and look so organized and look so talented, and then it’s almost like you get playing good, that you get loose,” Babcock told the Detroit Free Press.
“I mean, it’s crazy. We just gave it to them. It had nothing to do with them. Those are self-inflicted wounds on us. Crazy mistakes for no reason what-so-ever.
“To me, that was a disturbing loss, because all we had to do was continue to do things right, and you win the game. Whether we don’t have the maturity as a group, or the stick-to-it-ness – there’s no sense in what happened here.”
Red Wings forward Jordin Tootoo was a healthy scratch against the Flames.
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)