Mar 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
In what’s becoming an annual tradition in Calgary, Flames captain Jarome Iginla today found himself answering questions about all the trade speculation surrounding his struggling team.
True to form, the 35-year-old didn’t provide any substantial clues as to whether he’ll still be with Flames past the April 3 trade deadline.
Iginla did, however, tell reporters he understood the fans’ frustration given the Flames (9-11-4) have lost three straight and sit last in the Western Conference, six points behind eighth-place Minnesota.
Calgary has missed the playoffs the past three seasons despite one of the higher payrolls in the NHL.
“We have great fans here that are very passionate about hockey,” he said, per the Calgary Sun, “and they want to win and they want to see improvements.
“As far as the speculation, I said at the beginning of the year, I don’t want anything to be a distraction. I’m not going to talk about any of that speculation. As a team, we’re at a very critical point, in terms of bouncing back and trying to build some momentum again.”
The Flames host the Red Wings (12-9-5) tonight in a big game for both teams. Detroit is coming off two straight losses to Columbus and will play seven of its next eight games on the road.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)