Mar 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
In what’s becoming an annual tradition in Calgary, Flames captain Jarome Iginla today found himself answering questions about all the trade speculation surrounding his struggling team.
True to form, the 35-year-old didn’t provide any substantial clues as to whether he’ll still be with Flames past the April 3 trade deadline.
Iginla did, however, tell reporters he understood the fans’ frustration given the Flames (9-11-4) have lost three straight and sit last in the Western Conference, six points behind eighth-place Minnesota.
Calgary has missed the playoffs the past three seasons despite one of the higher payrolls in the NHL.
“We have great fans here that are very passionate about hockey,” he said, per the Calgary Sun, “and they want to win and they want to see improvements.
“As far as the speculation, I said at the beginning of the year, I don’t want anything to be a distraction. I’m not going to talk about any of that speculation. As a team, we’re at a very critical point, in terms of bouncing back and trying to build some momentum again.”
The Flames host the Red Wings (12-9-5) tonight in a big game for both teams. Detroit is coming off two straight losses to Columbus and will play seven of its next eight games on the road.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)