Mar 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
In what’s becoming an annual tradition in Calgary, Flames captain Jarome Iginla today found himself answering questions about all the trade speculation surrounding his struggling team.
True to form, the 35-year-old didn’t provide any substantial clues as to whether he’ll still be with Flames past the April 3 trade deadline.
Iginla did, however, tell reporters he understood the fans’ frustration given the Flames (9-11-4) have lost three straight and sit last in the Western Conference, six points behind eighth-place Minnesota.
Calgary has missed the playoffs the past three seasons despite one of the higher payrolls in the NHL.
“We have great fans here that are very passionate about hockey,” he said, per the Calgary Sun, “and they want to win and they want to see improvements.
“As far as the speculation, I said at the beginning of the year, I don’t want anything to be a distraction. I’m not going to talk about any of that speculation. As a team, we’re at a very critical point, in terms of bouncing back and trying to build some momentum again.”
The Flames host the Red Wings (12-9-5) tonight in a big game for both teams. Detroit is coming off two straight losses to Columbus and will play seven of its next eight games on the road.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)