Mar 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
In what’s becoming an annual tradition in Calgary, Flames captain Jarome Iginla today found himself answering questions about all the trade speculation surrounding his struggling team.
True to form, the 35-year-old didn’t provide any substantial clues as to whether he’ll still be with Flames past the April 3 trade deadline.
Iginla did, however, tell reporters he understood the fans’ frustration given the Flames (9-11-4) have lost three straight and sit last in the Western Conference, six points behind eighth-place Minnesota.
Calgary has missed the playoffs the past three seasons despite one of the higher payrolls in the NHL.
“We have great fans here that are very passionate about hockey,” he said, per the Calgary Sun, “and they want to win and they want to see improvements.
“As far as the speculation, I said at the beginning of the year, I don’t want anything to be a distraction. I’m not going to talk about any of that speculation. As a team, we’re at a very critical point, in terms of bouncing back and trying to build some momentum again.”
The Flames host the Red Wings (12-9-5) tonight in a big game for both teams. Detroit is coming off two straight losses to Columbus and will play seven of its next eight games on the road.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (125)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)