Mar 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
In what’s becoming an annual tradition in Calgary, Flames captain Jarome Iginla today found himself answering questions about all the trade speculation surrounding his struggling team.
True to form, the 35-year-old didn’t provide any substantial clues as to whether he’ll still be with Flames past the April 3 trade deadline.
Iginla did, however, tell reporters he understood the fans’ frustration given the Flames (9-11-4) have lost three straight and sit last in the Western Conference, six points behind eighth-place Minnesota.
Calgary has missed the playoffs the past three seasons despite one of the higher payrolls in the NHL.
“We have great fans here that are very passionate about hockey,” he said, per the Calgary Sun, “and they want to win and they want to see improvements.
“As far as the speculation, I said at the beginning of the year, I don’t want anything to be a distraction. I’m not going to talk about any of that speculation. As a team, we’re at a very critical point, in terms of bouncing back and trying to build some momentum again.”
The Flames host the Red Wings (12-9-5) tonight in a big game for both teams. Detroit is coming off two straight losses to Columbus and will play seven of its next eight games on the road.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)