Mar 10, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Jarome Iginla figures to have a lot of talk swirling about him as we head towards the April 3 trade deadline. He’s on the final year of his contract and with the Flames struggling to be a true playoff contender and in need of a rebuild, he figures to earn plenty of interest from Cup-contending teams.
Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun adds to that speculation reporting that Iginla and the Flames haven’t yet talked about a contract extension. Iginla’s agent, Don Meehan, shared that information with the Sun and after spending the past 16 seasons with Calgary you’d think they would want to work on something like that.
If Iginla decides to not stay in Calgary, GM Jay Feaster could get a great return for someone of his caliber and there will be plenty of teams eager to go for him. Think of what a team like Pittsburgh or Boston would be like with a power wing like Iginla on board for a Cup run.
This situation bears watching and with just three weeks until the deadline, you have to think Calgary will be active in figuring out whether or not they want to stop “going for it.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)