Mar 10, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Jarome Iginla figures to have a lot of talk swirling about him as we head towards the April 3 trade deadline. He’s on the final year of his contract and with the Flames struggling to be a true playoff contender and in need of a rebuild, he figures to earn plenty of interest from Cup-contending teams.
Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun adds to that speculation reporting that Iginla and the Flames haven’t yet talked about a contract extension. Iginla’s agent, Don Meehan, shared that information with the Sun and after spending the past 16 seasons with Calgary you’d think they would want to work on something like that.
If Iginla decides to not stay in Calgary, GM Jay Feaster could get a great return for someone of his caliber and there will be plenty of teams eager to go for him. Think of what a team like Pittsburgh or Boston would be like with a power wing like Iginla on board for a Cup run.
This situation bears watching and with just three weeks until the deadline, you have to think Calgary will be active in figuring out whether or not they want to stop “going for it.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)