Mar 10, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Jarome Iginla figures to have a lot of talk swirling about him as we head towards the April 3 trade deadline. He’s on the final year of his contract and with the Flames struggling to be a true playoff contender and in need of a rebuild, he figures to earn plenty of interest from Cup-contending teams.
Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun adds to that speculation reporting that Iginla and the Flames haven’t yet talked about a contract extension. Iginla’s agent, Don Meehan, shared that information with the Sun and after spending the past 16 seasons with Calgary you’d think they would want to work on something like that.
If Iginla decides to not stay in Calgary, GM Jay Feaster could get a great return for someone of his caliber and there will be plenty of teams eager to go for him. Think of what a team like Pittsburgh or Boston would be like with a power wing like Iginla on board for a Cup run.
This situation bears watching and with just three weeks until the deadline, you have to think Calgary will be active in figuring out whether or not they want to stop “going for it.”
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (52)