Mar 11, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Buffalo forward Steve Ott called the Sabres’ record “atrocious.”
Ott’s teammate, forward Thomas Vanek, was a little less harsh, but the message was the same.
“We should be in the playoffs without a doubt, and we’re not,” said Vanek today, per the Buffalo News. “We’re on the outside looking in again. I don’t think we’re too far off, but we’ve said that before. Unless we fix our special teams here soon, it’s going to be a long last seven weeks.”
After 26 games, Buffalo is 9-14-3 and sits 14th in the Eastern Conference, seven points out of eighth.
On Feb. 20, longtime head coach Lindy Ruff was fired for his team’s slow start. But the Sabres have continued to struggle under interim bench boss Ron Rolston.
It should be interesting to see how general manager Darcy Regier approaches the April 3 trade deadline. Does his job depend on a playoff appearance? What if the Sabres are even further out of the picture in a few weeks? Does he start shedding assets for picks and prospects, knowing that doing so would all but seal his fate?
The Sabres host the Rangers Tuesday then have three days off to prepare for the season’s final stretch.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 39
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)