Mar 11, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
Buffalo forward Steve Ott called the Sabres’ record “atrocious.”
Ott’s teammate, forward Thomas Vanek, was a little less harsh, but the message was the same.
“We should be in the playoffs without a doubt, and we’re not,” said Vanek today, per the Buffalo News. “We’re on the outside looking in again. I don’t think we’re too far off, but we’ve said that before. Unless we fix our special teams here soon, it’s going to be a long last seven weeks.”
After 26 games, Buffalo is 9-14-3 and sits 14th in the Eastern Conference, seven points out of eighth.
On Feb. 20, longtime head coach Lindy Ruff was fired for his team’s slow start. But the Sabres have continued to struggle under interim bench boss Ron Rolston.
It should be interesting to see how general manager Darcy Regier approaches the April 3 trade deadline. Does his job depend on a playoff appearance? What if the Sabres are even further out of the picture in a few weeks? Does he start shedding assets for picks and prospects, knowing that doing so would all but seal his fate?
The Sabres host the Rangers Tuesday then have three days off to prepare for the season’s final stretch.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 5
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 19
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46