Mar 11, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
Buffalo forward Steve Ott called the Sabres’ record “atrocious.”
Ott’s teammate, forward Thomas Vanek, was a little less harsh, but the message was the same.
“We should be in the playoffs without a doubt, and we’re not,” said Vanek today, per the Buffalo News. “We’re on the outside looking in again. I don’t think we’re too far off, but we’ve said that before. Unless we fix our special teams here soon, it’s going to be a long last seven weeks.”
After 26 games, Buffalo is 9-14-3 and sits 14th in the Eastern Conference, seven points out of eighth.
On Feb. 20, longtime head coach Lindy Ruff was fired for his team’s slow start. But the Sabres have continued to struggle under interim bench boss Ron Rolston.
It should be interesting to see how general manager Darcy Regier approaches the April 3 trade deadline. Does his job depend on a playoff appearance? What if the Sabres are even further out of the picture in a few weeks? Does he start shedding assets for picks and prospects, knowing that doing so would all but seal his fate?
The Sabres host the Rangers Tuesday then have three days off to prepare for the season’s final stretch.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 1
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 32
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 56
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)