Feb 20, 2013, 3:19 PM EST
It’s the end of an era in Buffalo. The Sabres announced Wednesday that head coach Lindy Ruff has been fired.
Ruff, 53, had been the Sabres’ head coach since July 21, 1997, and was the longest-serving coach in the NHL. Four times he took Buffalo to the conference finals, advancing to the Stanley Cup finals in 1999 where the Sabres fell to the Dallas Stars in six games.
In 2006, Ruff won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s top coach.
But the Sabres are off to a disappointing 6-10-1 start this season, Ruff’s 15th as Buffalo’s bench boss. Last night, they were booed off the ice at the First Niagara Center after losing, 2-1, to Winnipeg.
All the while, pressure was mounting on general manager Darcy Regier to make significant changes.
Buffalo’s current struggles come after the team missed the playoffs in 2011-12 despite one of the highest payrolls in the NHL.
No confirmations yet but hearing Ron Rolston (coaching Rochester in AHL) as possible and perhaps likely replacement in BUF.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) February 20, 2013
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)