Feb 20, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
It’s the end of an era in Buffalo. The Sabres announced Wednesday that head coach Lindy Ruff has been fired.
Ruff, 53, had been the Sabres’ head coach since July 21, 1997, and was the longest-serving coach in the NHL. Four times he took Buffalo to the conference finals, advancing to the Stanley Cup finals in 1999 where the Sabres fell to the Dallas Stars in six games.
In 2006, Ruff won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s top coach.
But the Sabres are off to a disappointing 6-10-1 start this season, Ruff’s 15th as Buffalo’s bench boss. Last night, they were booed off the ice at the First Niagara Center after losing, 2-1, to Winnipeg.
All the while, pressure was mounting on general manager Darcy Regier to make significant changes.
Buffalo’s current struggles come after the team missed the playoffs in 2011-12 despite one of the highest payrolls in the NHL.
No confirmations yet but hearing Ron Rolston (coaching Rochester in AHL) as possible and perhaps likely replacement in BUF.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) February 20, 2013
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 4
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 23
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)