Feb 20, 2013, 3:19 PM EST
It’s the end of an era in Buffalo. The Sabres announced Wednesday that head coach Lindy Ruff has been fired.
Ruff, 53, had been the Sabres’ head coach since July 21, 1997, and was the longest-serving coach in the NHL. Four times he took Buffalo to the conference finals, advancing to the Stanley Cup finals in 1999 where the Sabres fell to the Dallas Stars in six games.
In 2006, Ruff won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s top coach.
But the Sabres are off to a disappointing 6-10-1 start this season, Ruff’s 15th as Buffalo’s bench boss. Last night, they were booed off the ice at the First Niagara Center after losing, 2-1, to Winnipeg.
All the while, pressure was mounting on general manager Darcy Regier to make significant changes.
Buffalo’s current struggles come after the team missed the playoffs in 2011-12 despite one of the highest payrolls in the NHL.
No confirmations yet but hearing Ron Rolston (coaching Rochester in AHL) as possible and perhaps likely replacement in BUF.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) February 20, 2013
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)