Feb 20, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
It’s the end of an era in Buffalo. The Sabres announced Wednesday that head coach Lindy Ruff has been fired.
Ruff, 53, had been the Sabres’ head coach since July 21, 1997, and was the longest-serving coach in the NHL. Four times he took Buffalo to the conference finals, advancing to the Stanley Cup finals in 1999 where the Sabres fell to the Dallas Stars in six games.
In 2006, Ruff won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s top coach.
But the Sabres are off to a disappointing 6-10-1 start this season, Ruff’s 15th as Buffalo’s bench boss. Last night, they were booed off the ice at the First Niagara Center after losing, 2-1, to Winnipeg.
All the while, pressure was mounting on general manager Darcy Regier to make significant changes.
Buffalo’s current struggles come after the team missed the playoffs in 2011-12 despite one of the highest payrolls in the NHL.
No confirmations yet but hearing Ron Rolston (coaching Rochester in AHL) as possible and perhaps likely replacement in BUF.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) February 20, 2013
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 0
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 41
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)