Mar 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
Could an outdoor NHL game soon be played in sunny, warm Los Angeles? According to a report in the L.A. Times, the NHL is at least kicking the tires on the idea.
John Collins, the NHL’s chief operating officer and driving force behind the Winter Classic, and Don Renzulli, the league’s senior vice president of events, were in Los Angeles last week to talk with Kings executives about possibly staging an outdoor game in the city next year.
The league’s portable rink and refrigeration equipment can be set up in a warm climate, but Commissioner Gary Bettman has rejected the idea because he prefers an atmosphere of wintry charm. Other NHL executives are open to the idea of playing amid palm trees, believing the novelty would ignite interest for the teams, the area and grass-roots growth.
Dodger Stadium is the likely site, but the Rose Bowl and Coliseum could figure in. The game would be played just before the NHL breaks for the Winter Olympics, assuming NHL players will participate.
The report emphasizes that discussions are “very tentative,” but it’s not the first time we’ve heard of the possibility of an outdoor game at Dodger Stadium. In May, executives of the baseball club expressed confidence in the idea.
“Facility-wise, we could certainly handle it,” Dodgers president Stan Kasten told the L.A. Times.
Added chairman Mark Walter: “They put a man on the moon. They can make it work.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)