Mar 10, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
As of right now, the Florida Panthers are the worst team in the NHL with just 20 points. They’re seven points behind New Jersey for the last playoff spot in the East and nine points back of Carolina for first in the Southeast Division. That’s… Not good and it could mean it’s time for them to start selling by the trade deadline.
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports that Panthers GM Dale Tallon is open to all trade offers for his players. There are a few notable exceptions, however.
Forwards Jonathan Huberdeau and Drew Shore, defenseman Erik Gudbranson and goalie Jacob Markstrom are reportedly off limits. Everyone else on the roster, however, could be had for the right price, including Kris Versteeg and his contract that comes with a $4.4 million cap hit through the 2015-16 season. Good luck with that one.
This report comes at a tough time as they just lost soon-to-be free agent Stephen Weiss for the season with a wrist injury. He would’ve drawn a lot of attention from teams in need of a capable center and now they’ll possibly end up losing him for nothing.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)