Mar 10, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
As of right now, the Florida Panthers are the worst team in the NHL with just 20 points. They’re seven points behind New Jersey for the last playoff spot in the East and nine points back of Carolina for first in the Southeast Division. That’s… Not good and it could mean it’s time for them to start selling by the trade deadline.
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports that Panthers GM Dale Tallon is open to all trade offers for his players. There are a few notable exceptions, however.
Forwards Jonathan Huberdeau and Drew Shore, defenseman Erik Gudbranson and goalie Jacob Markstrom are reportedly off limits. Everyone else on the roster, however, could be had for the right price, including Kris Versteeg and his contract that comes with a $4.4 million cap hit through the 2015-16 season. Good luck with that one.
This report comes at a tough time as they just lost soon-to-be free agent Stephen Weiss for the season with a wrist injury. He would’ve drawn a lot of attention from teams in need of a capable center and now they’ll possibly end up losing him for nothing.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)