Mar 10, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have been their own worst enemy at times this season. Yesterday’s loss to the Islanders was a good example of that as the game turned on a double-minor taken by Mike Ribeiro thanks to an added unsportsmanlike conduct call for mouthing off at the officials.
“Of course some refs don’t like some personalities on our team, but anyway, you have to respect us,” Ovechkin said Sunday morning. “We’re emotional, we’re in the game. When we say something bad to linesmen or bad to referees, we can’t give them two minutes when they yell at me or they yell at coaches or yell somebody. It’s kind of position when they have to give us a break.”
It should be a two-way street on the ice with courtesy given both ways, but it’s clear there’s a mandate for players to quit the complaining or else. A guy like Ribeiro already has a reputation and the three unsportsmanlike conduct calls he’s earned this year only solidify that standing.
If the Caps want to stay out of the box, they’d better learn how to turn around and skate away.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)