Mar 10, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
The Washington Capitals have been their own worst enemy at times this season. Yesterday’s loss to the Islanders was a good example of that as the game turned on a double-minor taken by Mike Ribeiro thanks to an added unsportsmanlike conduct call for mouthing off at the officials.
“Of course some refs don’t like some personalities on our team, but anyway, you have to respect us,” Ovechkin said Sunday morning. “We’re emotional, we’re in the game. When we say something bad to linesmen or bad to referees, we can’t give them two minutes when they yell at me or they yell at coaches or yell somebody. It’s kind of position when they have to give us a break.”
It should be a two-way street on the ice with courtesy given both ways, but it’s clear there’s a mandate for players to quit the complaining or else. A guy like Ribeiro already has a reputation and the three unsportsmanlike conduct calls he’s earned this year only solidify that standing.
If the Caps want to stay out of the box, they’d better learn how to turn around and skate away.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 44
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 41
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (157)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)