Mar 10, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
The Washington Capitals have been their own worst enemy at times this season. Yesterday’s loss to the Islanders was a good example of that as the game turned on a double-minor taken by Mike Ribeiro thanks to an added unsportsmanlike conduct call for mouthing off at the officials.
“Of course some refs don’t like some personalities on our team, but anyway, you have to respect us,” Ovechkin said Sunday morning. “We’re emotional, we’re in the game. When we say something bad to linesmen or bad to referees, we can’t give them two minutes when they yell at me or they yell at coaches or yell somebody. It’s kind of position when they have to give us a break.”
It should be a two-way street on the ice with courtesy given both ways, but it’s clear there’s a mandate for players to quit the complaining or else. A guy like Ribeiro already has a reputation and the three unsportsmanlike conduct calls he’s earned this year only solidify that standing.
If the Caps want to stay out of the box, they’d better learn how to turn around and skate away.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)