Mar 9, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Mike Ribeiro can be a polarizing figure and he proved that again Saturday.
Ribeiro, the Washington Capitals center, was called for high-sticking New York Islanders forward John Tavares then slammed with an unsportsmanlike conduct minor for complaining about the first call in the third period.
Tavares scored late in the ensuing second power play to give the Islanders a 3-2 lead and then added another goal on another man-advantage 30 seconds later to up the lead to a pair of goals.
The final score ended 5-2 for the Islanders.
“Mike knows better than that,” Capitals head coach Adam Oates told NHL.com. “I’m sure he feels bad about it.”
Jeff Schultz was also dinged for a high-sticking double-minor just 22 seconds after Tavares gave the Islanders the lead in the third period.
“The penalties in the third period were deflating for us,” Capitals right winger Troy Brouwer told the Associated Press.
“We fought back to tie it and then to have two four-minute penalties against us was tough.”
Tavares is now up to 16 goals and 29 points on the season. He experienced a three-game skid without a point at the end of February into the start of March.
Since March 5, he now has four points in his last three games.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)