Mar 9, 2013, 5:58 PM EST
Mike Ribeiro can be a polarizing figure and he proved that again Saturday.
Ribeiro, the Washington Capitals center, was called for high-sticking New York Islanders forward John Tavares then slammed with an unsportsmanlike conduct minor for complaining about the first call in the third period.
Tavares scored late in the ensuing second power play to give the Islanders a 3-2 lead and then added another goal on another man-advantage 30 seconds later to up the lead to a pair of goals.
The final score ended 5-2 for the Islanders.
“Mike knows better than that,” Capitals head coach Adam Oates told NHL.com. “I’m sure he feels bad about it.”
Jeff Schultz was also dinged for a high-sticking double-minor just 22 seconds after Tavares gave the Islanders the lead in the third period.
“The penalties in the third period were deflating for us,” Capitals right winger Troy Brouwer told the Associated Press.
“We fought back to tie it and then to have two four-minute penalties against us was tough.”
Tavares is now up to 16 goals and 29 points on the season. He experienced a three-game skid without a point at the end of February into the start of March.
Since March 5, he now has four points in his last three games.
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 2
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)