Mar 6, 2013, 8:39 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators received more good news on the health front Wednesday, as GM Brian Murray said Jason Spezza could be back in the lineup well in advance of the Apr. 3 trade deadline.
“Jason has been cleared by the doctors for hard work and to get it going,” Murray told Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes. “We’re hoping in about two to three weeks we’ll be able to put him into the lineup for us.”
Spezza, Ottawa’s leading point-getter from a year ago, has been out of action since Jan. 27 after tweaking his back during a 2-1 shootout loss to Pittsburgh.
He underwent surgery on Feb. 1 and, a week later, said he was aiming to return for the playoffs.
So clearly, rehab has gone better than expected.
Ottawa is anxiously awaiting Spezza’s return, as he’ll inject some life into an offense averaging an Eastern Conference-worst 2.1 goals per game.
That said, the Sens have done extremely well (5-3-2 in their last 10) to battle through the losses of Spezza, reigning Norris winner Erik Karlsson, goalie Craig Anderson and forward Milan Michalek, who led the team with 35 goals in 2011-12.
Michalek will return from a 10-game absence tonight against Toronto, and Anderson’s return shouldn’t be far behind. Ottawa said Anderson won’t be in the lineup on Friday when the Sens take on the Rangers, but could make his return next week.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)