Mar 4, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
On Monday, the NHL announced that its annual draft lottery would be held on Monday, Apr. 29 — and that, for the first time in history, all 14 non-playoff teams would have a shot at winning the first overall selection.
Here are the details:
The NHL Draft Lottery is a weighted system to determine the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the 2013 NHL Draft. Teams finishing with the fewest points during the regular season possess the greatest chance of winning the right to the first pick.
Fourteen balls, numbered 1 to 14, are placed in a lottery machine. The machine expels four balls, forming a series of numbers. The four-digit series resulting from the expulsion of the balls is matched against a probability chart that divides the possible combinations among the 14 participating clubs.
While the top pick can now go to any of the 14 non-playoff clubs, or the team owning the rights to the first pick of a non-playoff club, the odds of winning the lottery are unchanged from previous years.
The teams in the drawing are ranked in inverse order of their regular season point totals, with team one being the club with the fewest points, and team 14 being the club with the most points among those outside of the playoffs.
And here are the likelihoods (in percentages) of each team getting the first pick:
Team 1 — 25.0%
Team 2 — 18.8%
Team 3 — 14.2%
Team 4 — 10.7%
Team 5 — 8.1%
Team 6 — 6.2%
Team 7 — 4.7%
Team 8 — 3.6%
Team 9 — 2.7%
Team 10 — 2.1%
Team 11 — 1.5%
Team 12 — 1.1%
Team 13 — 0.8%
Team 14 — 0.5%
– The 2013 NHL Entry Draft will be held on Sunday, July 30 at the Prudential Center in New Jersey starting at 3 p.m. ET.
– No club will move down more than one position as a result of the lottery.
– The remaining first-round positions are determined by Stanley Cup Playoffs results.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)