Mar 4, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
On Monday, the NHL announced that its annual draft lottery would be held on Monday, Apr. 29 — and that, for the first time in history, all 14 non-playoff teams would have a shot at winning the first overall selection.
Here are the details:
The NHL Draft Lottery is a weighted system to determine the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the 2013 NHL Draft. Teams finishing with the fewest points during the regular season possess the greatest chance of winning the right to the first pick.
Fourteen balls, numbered 1 to 14, are placed in a lottery machine. The machine expels four balls, forming a series of numbers. The four-digit series resulting from the expulsion of the balls is matched against a probability chart that divides the possible combinations among the 14 participating clubs.
While the top pick can now go to any of the 14 non-playoff clubs, or the team owning the rights to the first pick of a non-playoff club, the odds of winning the lottery are unchanged from previous years.
The teams in the drawing are ranked in inverse order of their regular season point totals, with team one being the club with the fewest points, and team 14 being the club with the most points among those outside of the playoffs.
And here are the likelihoods (in percentages) of each team getting the first pick:
Team 1 — 25.0%
Team 2 — 18.8%
Team 3 — 14.2%
Team 4 — 10.7%
Team 5 — 8.1%
Team 6 — 6.2%
Team 7 — 4.7%
Team 8 — 3.6%
Team 9 — 2.7%
Team 10 — 2.1%
Team 11 — 1.5%
Team 12 — 1.1%
Team 13 — 0.8%
Team 14 — 0.5%
— The 2013 NHL Entry Draft will be held on Sunday, July 30 at the Prudential Center in New Jersey starting at 3 p.m. ET.
— No club will move down more than one position as a result of the lottery.
— The remaining first-round positions are determined by Stanley Cup Playoffs results.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)