Mar 3, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Thomas Vanek was already slowing down from his blistering start to 2013, but now it looks he’s being stalled by an upper-body injury.
The Buffalo Sabres forward missed Saturday’s game against the New Jersey Devils and opted to sit out Sunday’s match against the New York Rangers as well, ESPN’s Katie Strang points out.
There’s not much information about the issue, although it’s probably a good sign that the 29-year-old at least had a chance to play tonight.
Vanek has been held without a point in seven of his last nine games, although the bright side is that he scored four points in the two games when he did get on the scoreboard. Overall, his numbers are still impressive: 27 points in 20 games.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 10
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54