Mar 3, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Thomas Vanek was already slowing down from his blistering start to 2013, but now it looks he’s being stalled by an upper-body injury.
The Buffalo Sabres forward missed Saturday’s game against the New Jersey Devils and opted to sit out Sunday’s match against the New York Rangers as well, ESPN’s Katie Strang points out.
There’s not much information about the issue, although it’s probably a good sign that the 29-year-old at least had a chance to play tonight.
Vanek has been held without a point in seven of his last nine games, although the bright side is that he scored four points in the two games when he did get on the scoreboard. Overall, his numbers are still impressive: 27 points in 20 games.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)