Mar 3, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Thomas Vanek was already slowing down from his blistering start to 2013, but now it looks he’s being stalled by an upper-body injury.
The Buffalo Sabres forward missed Saturday’s game against the New Jersey Devils and opted to sit out Sunday’s match against the New York Rangers as well, ESPN’s Katie Strang points out.
There’s not much information about the issue, although it’s probably a good sign that the 29-year-old at least had a chance to play tonight.
Vanek has been held without a point in seven of his last nine games, although the bright side is that he scored four points in the two games when he did get on the scoreboard. Overall, his numbers are still impressive: 27 points in 20 games.
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 5
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 6
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 48
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)