Feb 23, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Yesterday’s news of Rick DiPietro being placed on waivers was a stunning turn of events. Today’s news that he’s cleared waivers and is headed to AHL Bridgeport is much less of a surprise.
Taking DiPietro’s spot on Long Island is goalie Kevin Poulin who will serve as Evgeni Nabokov‘s backup tonight against Buffalo. As you’re probably well aware of now, DiPietro is in the middle of his 15-year contract with the Isles and making a cool $4.5 million a year against the cap.
In truth, DiPietro needs to get work in. He played in just three games with the Islanders this season and didn’t look good in them. Of course he managed to also not get hurt so that’s a good thing. He should get as much time as he needs or wants in Bridgeport to figure out his game.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39