Feb 23, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Yesterday’s news of Rick DiPietro being placed on waivers was a stunning turn of events. Today’s news that he’s cleared waivers and is headed to AHL Bridgeport is much less of a surprise.
Taking DiPietro’s spot on Long Island is goalie Kevin Poulin who will serve as Evgeni Nabokov‘s backup tonight against Buffalo. As you’re probably well aware of now, DiPietro is in the middle of his 15-year contract with the Isles and making a cool $4.5 million a year against the cap.
In truth, DiPietro needs to get work in. He played in just three games with the Islanders this season and didn’t look good in them. Of course he managed to also not get hurt so that’s a good thing. He should get as much time as he needs or wants in Bridgeport to figure out his game.
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 4
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 11
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21