Feb 23, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Yesterday’s news of Rick DiPietro being placed on waivers was a stunning turn of events. Today’s news that he’s cleared waivers and is headed to AHL Bridgeport is much less of a surprise.
Taking DiPietro’s spot on Long Island is goalie Kevin Poulin who will serve as Evgeni Nabokov‘s backup tonight against Buffalo. As you’re probably well aware of now, DiPietro is in the middle of his 15-year contract with the Isles and making a cool $4.5 million a year against the cap.
In truth, DiPietro needs to get work in. He played in just three games with the Islanders this season and didn’t look good in them. Of course he managed to also not get hurt so that’s a good thing. He should get as much time as he needs or wants in Bridgeport to figure out his game.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)