Feb 23, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Yesterday’s news of Rick DiPietro being placed on waivers was a stunning turn of events. Today’s news that he’s cleared waivers and is headed to AHL Bridgeport is much less of a surprise.
Taking DiPietro’s spot on Long Island is goalie Kevin Poulin who will serve as Evgeni Nabokov‘s backup tonight against Buffalo. As you’re probably well aware of now, DiPietro is in the middle of his 15-year contract with the Isles and making a cool $4.5 million a year against the cap.
In truth, DiPietro needs to get work in. He played in just three games with the Islanders this season and didn’t look good in them. Of course he managed to also not get hurt so that’s a good thing. He should get as much time as he needs or wants in Bridgeport to figure out his game.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)