Feb 23, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Yesterday’s news of Rick DiPietro being placed on waivers was a stunning turn of events. Today’s news that he’s cleared waivers and is headed to AHL Bridgeport is much less of a surprise.
Taking DiPietro’s spot on Long Island is goalie Kevin Poulin who will serve as Evgeni Nabokov‘s backup tonight against Buffalo. As you’re probably well aware of now, DiPietro is in the middle of his 15-year contract with the Isles and making a cool $4.5 million a year against the cap.
In truth, DiPietro needs to get work in. He played in just three games with the Islanders this season and didn’t look good in them. Of course he managed to also not get hurt so that’s a good thing. He should get as much time as he needs or wants in Bridgeport to figure out his game.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 16
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)