Feb 22, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
Once DiPietro clears (and you can bet he’ll clear), the 31-year-old will be assigned to AHL Bridgeport, with goalie Kevin Poulin reportedly getting the call to the NHL.
DiPietro is 0-3-0 with a 4.10 goals-against average and .855 save percentage. The 31-year-old former first overall draft pick has a contract that runs through 2020-21 with an annual salary (and cap hit) of $4.5 million.
With DiPietro in the minors, and after acquiring Tim Thomas‘s contract from Boston, the Isles will have $8.6 million* in cap space committed to two goalies that aren’t playing for the team.
When asked by ESPN.com about the club’s plans for DiPietro, general manager Garth Snow refused to “speculate what the future may hold.”
But an NHL team executive told ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun: “You would think they will buy him out after this season. If they do, they might not use the (new CBA) transition buyout so that his buyout counts against the floor going forward.”
According to CapGeek, a DiPietro buyout (non-transition version) would result in an annual $1.5 million cap hit through 2028-29.
*DiPietro’s $4.5 million minus $900,000 (per new CBA) plus Thomas’s $5 million.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)