Feb 22, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
Once DiPietro clears (and you can bet he’ll clear), the 31-year-old will be assigned to AHL Bridgeport, with goalie Kevin Poulin reportedly getting the call to the NHL.
DiPietro is 0-3-0 with a 4.10 goals-against average and .855 save percentage. The 31-year-old former first overall draft pick has a contract that runs through 2020-21 with an annual salary (and cap hit) of $4.5 million.
With DiPietro in the minors, and after acquiring Tim Thomas‘s contract from Boston, the Isles will have $8.6 million* in cap space committed to two goalies that aren’t playing for the team.
When asked by ESPN.com about the club’s plans for DiPietro, general manager Garth Snow refused to “speculate what the future may hold.”
But an NHL team executive told ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun: “You would think they will buy him out after this season. If they do, they might not use the (new CBA) transition buyout so that his buyout counts against the floor going forward.”
According to CapGeek, a DiPietro buyout (non-transition version) would result in an annual $1.5 million cap hit through 2028-29.
*DiPietro’s $4.5 million minus $900,000 (per new CBA) plus Thomas’s $5 million.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (141)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)