Feb 22, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
Once DiPietro clears (and you can bet he’ll clear), the 31-year-old will be assigned to AHL Bridgeport, with goalie Kevin Poulin reportedly getting the call to the NHL.
DiPietro is 0-3-0 with a 4.10 goals-against average and .855 save percentage. The 31-year-old former first overall draft pick has a contract that runs through 2020-21 with an annual salary (and cap hit) of $4.5 million.
With DiPietro in the minors, and after acquiring Tim Thomas‘s contract from Boston, the Isles will have $8.6 million* in cap space committed to two goalies that aren’t playing for the team.
When asked by ESPN.com about the club’s plans for DiPietro, general manager Garth Snow refused to “speculate what the future may hold.”
But an NHL team executive told ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun: “You would think they will buy him out after this season. If they do, they might not use the (new CBA) transition buyout so that his buyout counts against the floor going forward.”
According to CapGeek, a DiPietro buyout (non-transition version) would result in an annual $1.5 million cap hit through 2028-29.
*DiPietro’s $4.5 million minus $900,000 (per new CBA) plus Thomas’s $5 million.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)