Feb 22, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
Once DiPietro clears (and you can bet he’ll clear), the 31-year-old will be assigned to AHL Bridgeport, with goalie Kevin Poulin reportedly getting the call to the NHL.
DiPietro is 0-3-0 with a 4.10 goals-against average and .855 save percentage. The 31-year-old former first overall draft pick has a contract that runs through 2020-21 with an annual salary (and cap hit) of $4.5 million.
With DiPietro in the minors, and after acquiring Tim Thomas‘s contract from Boston, the Isles will have $8.6 million* in cap space committed to two goalies that aren’t playing for the team.
When asked by ESPN.com about the club’s plans for DiPietro, general manager Garth Snow refused to “speculate what the future may hold.”
But an NHL team executive told ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun: “You would think they will buy him out after this season. If they do, they might not use the (new CBA) transition buyout so that his buyout counts against the floor going forward.”
According to CapGeek, a DiPietro buyout (non-transition version) would result in an annual $1.5 million cap hit through 2028-29.
*DiPietro’s $4.5 million minus $900,000 (per new CBA) plus Thomas’s $5 million.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)