Feb 22, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
Once DiPietro clears (and you can bet he’ll clear), the 31-year-old will be assigned to AHL Bridgeport, with goalie Kevin Poulin reportedly getting the call to the NHL.
DiPietro is 0-3-0 with a 4.10 goals-against average and .855 save percentage. The 31-year-old former first overall draft pick has a contract that runs through 2020-21 with an annual salary (and cap hit) of $4.5 million.
With DiPietro in the minors, and after acquiring Tim Thomas‘s contract from Boston, the Isles will have $8.6 million* in cap space committed to two goalies that aren’t playing for the team.
When asked by ESPN.com about the club’s plans for DiPietro, general manager Garth Snow refused to “speculate what the future may hold.”
But an NHL team executive told ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun: “You would think they will buy him out after this season. If they do, they might not use the (new CBA) transition buyout so that his buyout counts against the floor going forward.”
According to CapGeek, a DiPietro buyout (non-transition version) would result in an annual $1.5 million cap hit through 2028-29.
*DiPietro’s $4.5 million minus $900,000 (per new CBA) plus Thomas’s $5 million.
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 3
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)