Feb 20, 2013, 2:05 PM EST
Fasth, 30, will be paid $2.4 million in 2013-14 and $3.4 million in 2014-15, according to Helene Elliott of the LA Times.
The two-time Honken Trophy winner — awarded annually to the top goalie in Sweden — first signed with the Ducks in May of 2012 on a one-year, $1 million deal.
“Viktor has proven himself not only this year in the NHL, but the previous two seasons as the top goaltender in Sweden,” said Ducks general manager Bob Murray in a release. “We are pleased to be able to keep him and feel fortunate to have two top NHL goaltenders going forward.”
After spending a good chunk of his career toiling in the lower-tier Swedish leagues, Fasth eventually arrived in North America as something of an unknown commodity. He was pegged to challenge for the backup spot to incumbent starter Jonas Hiller, and even Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau admitted the organization “didn’t even know what we had” in Fasth.
Now, they certainly know.
Fasth is just the third goaltender in NHL history to win his first eight-or-more career decisions (Fasth is 8-0-0) and is currently tied atop the NHL in wins.
He also ranks sixth in GAA (1.78) and tied for seventh in save percentage (.933).
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 7
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 19
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 29
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (151)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)