Feb 20, 2013, 2:05 PM EST
Fasth, 30, will be paid $2.4 million in 2013-14 and $3.4 million in 2014-15, according to Helene Elliott of the LA Times.
The two-time Honken Trophy winner — awarded annually to the top goalie in Sweden — first signed with the Ducks in May of 2012 on a one-year, $1 million deal.
“Viktor has proven himself not only this year in the NHL, but the previous two seasons as the top goaltender in Sweden,” said Ducks general manager Bob Murray in a release. “We are pleased to be able to keep him and feel fortunate to have two top NHL goaltenders going forward.”
After spending a good chunk of his career toiling in the lower-tier Swedish leagues, Fasth eventually arrived in North America as something of an unknown commodity. He was pegged to challenge for the backup spot to incumbent starter Jonas Hiller, and even Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau admitted the organization “didn’t even know what we had” in Fasth.
Now, they certainly know.
Fasth is just the third goaltender in NHL history to win his first eight-or-more career decisions (Fasth is 8-0-0) and is currently tied atop the NHL in wins.
He also ranks sixth in GAA (1.78) and tied for seventh in save percentage (.933).
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)