Feb 20, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Fasth, 30, will be paid $2.4 million in 2013-14 and $3.4 million in 2014-15, according to Helene Elliott of the LA Times.
The two-time Honken Trophy winner — awarded annually to the top goalie in Sweden — first signed with the Ducks in May of 2012 on a one-year, $1 million deal.
“Viktor has proven himself not only this year in the NHL, but the previous two seasons as the top goaltender in Sweden,” said Ducks general manager Bob Murray in a release. “We are pleased to be able to keep him and feel fortunate to have two top NHL goaltenders going forward.”
After spending a good chunk of his career toiling in the lower-tier Swedish leagues, Fasth eventually arrived in North America as something of an unknown commodity. He was pegged to challenge for the backup spot to incumbent starter Jonas Hiller, and even Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau admitted the organization “didn’t even know what we had” in Fasth.
Now, they certainly know.
Fasth is just the third goaltender in NHL history to win his first eight-or-more career decisions (Fasth is 8-0-0) and is currently tied atop the NHL in wins.
He also ranks sixth in GAA (1.78) and tied for seventh in save percentage (.933).
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)