Feb 20, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Fasth, 30, will be paid $2.4 million in 2013-14 and $3.4 million in 2014-15, according to Helene Elliott of the LA Times.
The two-time Honken Trophy winner — awarded annually to the top goalie in Sweden — first signed with the Ducks in May of 2012 on a one-year, $1 million deal.
“Viktor has proven himself not only this year in the NHL, but the previous two seasons as the top goaltender in Sweden,” said Ducks general manager Bob Murray in a release. “We are pleased to be able to keep him and feel fortunate to have two top NHL goaltenders going forward.”
After spending a good chunk of his career toiling in the lower-tier Swedish leagues, Fasth eventually arrived in North America as something of an unknown commodity. He was pegged to challenge for the backup spot to incumbent starter Jonas Hiller, and even Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau admitted the organization “didn’t even know what we had” in Fasth.
Now, they certainly know.
Fasth is just the third goaltender in NHL history to win his first eight-or-more career decisions (Fasth is 8-0-0) and is currently tied atop the NHL in wins.
He also ranks sixth in GAA (1.78) and tied for seventh in save percentage (.933).
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)