Feb 20, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Fasth, 30, will be paid $2.4 million in 2013-14 and $3.4 million in 2014-15, according to Helene Elliott of the LA Times.
The two-time Honken Trophy winner — awarded annually to the top goalie in Sweden — first signed with the Ducks in May of 2012 on a one-year, $1 million deal.
“Viktor has proven himself not only this year in the NHL, but the previous two seasons as the top goaltender in Sweden,” said Ducks general manager Bob Murray in a release. “We are pleased to be able to keep him and feel fortunate to have two top NHL goaltenders going forward.”
After spending a good chunk of his career toiling in the lower-tier Swedish leagues, Fasth eventually arrived in North America as something of an unknown commodity. He was pegged to challenge for the backup spot to incumbent starter Jonas Hiller, and even Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau admitted the organization “didn’t even know what we had” in Fasth.
Now, they certainly know.
Fasth is just the third goaltender in NHL history to win his first eight-or-more career decisions (Fasth is 8-0-0) and is currently tied atop the NHL in wins.
He also ranks sixth in GAA (1.78) and tied for seventh in save percentage (.933).
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)