Feb 13, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
Ducks goalie Viktor Fasth wrote another chapter in his Cinderella story on Tuesday night, stopping 28 of 30 shots (and two of three shootout attempts) in a 3-2 win over the NHL’s first-place team, the Chicago Blackhawks.
The win moved Fasth to 6-0-0 on the year, not bad for a 30-year-old rookie that once toiled in Sweden’s lower-tier leagues.
Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau marveled at Fasth’s unlikely story following the Chicago win.
“You mean that he’s 30 and he played in Sweden and no one ever heard of him?” Boudreau told the Chicago Daily Herald. “That’s probably the best part. That includes me.
“To start the season, I didn’t even know what we had.”
In fairness to Boudreau, not many in North America did.
Fasth burst onto the scene with Swedish Elite League outfit AIK in 2010-11. Since then, he won back-to-back Honken Trophies, awarded annually to the top goalie in Sweden — the only other multiple winners are New York’s Henrik Lundqvist and former Lightning goalie Johan Holmqvist.
He’s starred internationally as well. At the 2011 World Hockey Championships, Fasth posted a 1.71 GAA and .946 save percentage, capturing MVP honors despite losing the gold medal game to Finland.
The Ducks gave him a modest one-year, $1 million deal in May with the hopes he’d be Jonas Hiller‘s backup for the year.
Needless to say, he’s exceeded expectations. Fasth sits fifth in the league in goals-against average (1.74), eighth in save percentage (.933) and has been Anaheim’s goalie of record in six of the last nine games.
That play has drawn the highest of praises from Boudreau.
“[Fasth's] demeanor is so calm,” he said. “He settles everything down when he’s on top of his game. He moves very Carey Price-ish, like side to side, almost robotic.
“It’s been such a pleasant surprise.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)