Feb 20, 2013, 3:09 PM EST
Combine one team (the Chicago Blackhawks) on the verge of setting a record for the best 16-game start in NHL history and that team’s hated rival (the Vancouver Canucks) and, apparently, the result is a lot of people watching on TV.
Comcast SportsNet attracted approx. 258,224 households in the Chicago market for the entire game and posted a 10.91 “peak” rating during the 10:15 PM quarter-hour (over 380,000 households tuning in). The 7.41 single game regular season ratings record on Comcast SportsNet shatters the previous record set on January 27 for the Blackhawks home game vs. Detroit (6.31). Source for all ratings information is provided by Nielsen Media Research overnights.
Comcast SportsNet was also the #1-highest rated television network in the Chicago market last night in overall households for the entire length of the game (7:30-10:30 PM).
In addition to all the eyeballs watching on TV, the Blackhawks also lead the NHL in average attendance (21,556).
Hey, remember like five years ago when the United Center was half full and the home games weren’t even on TV?
Bit of a turnaround.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 150
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (150)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)