Feb 16, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
The Flames on Saturday reassigned Irving to the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League and recalled Danny Taylor.
Irving and Taylor have found themselves in a similar situation down on the farm, when Taylor was chosen over Irving as the Heat’s number one netminder.
“By sending Leland to Abbotsford at this time he does not require waivers. We want Leland to go down and work on sharpening his game. At the same time this enables us to continue to evaluate Danny Taylor at the NHL level,” Flames general manager Jay Feaster said in a statement released by the club.
Irving, 24, is the Flames’ first-round, 26th overall, selection from the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
Irving allowed two goals on only four shots faced in his last start for Calgary, against the St. Louis Blues Friday. He was pulled after just four minutes and seven seconds of the first period. The Flames as a team gave up four goals in the first period and went on to lose 5-2.
The Flames also put centre Blair Jones on waivers.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)