Feb 16, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
The Flames on Saturday reassigned Irving to the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League and recalled Danny Taylor.
Irving and Taylor have found themselves in a similar situation down on the farm, when Taylor was chosen over Irving as the Heat’s number one netminder.
“By sending Leland to Abbotsford at this time he does not require waivers. We want Leland to go down and work on sharpening his game. At the same time this enables us to continue to evaluate Danny Taylor at the NHL level,” Flames general manager Jay Feaster said in a statement released by the club.
Irving, 24, is the Flames’ first-round, 26th overall, selection from the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
Irving allowed two goals on only four shots faced in his last start for Calgary, against the St. Louis Blues Friday. He was pulled after just four minutes and seven seconds of the first period. The Flames as a team gave up four goals in the first period and went on to lose 5-2.
The Flames also put centre Blair Jones on waivers.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 1
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 15
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)