Feb 16, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
The Flames on Saturday reassigned Irving to the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League and recalled Danny Taylor.
Irving and Taylor have found themselves in a similar situation down on the farm, when Taylor was chosen over Irving as the Heat’s number one netminder.
“By sending Leland to Abbotsford at this time he does not require waivers. We want Leland to go down and work on sharpening his game. At the same time this enables us to continue to evaluate Danny Taylor at the NHL level,” Flames general manager Jay Feaster said in a statement released by the club.
Irving, 24, is the Flames’ first-round, 26th overall, selection from the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
Irving allowed two goals on only four shots faced in his last start for Calgary, against the St. Louis Blues Friday. He was pulled after just four minutes and seven seconds of the first period. The Flames as a team gave up four goals in the first period and went on to lose 5-2.
The Flames also put centre Blair Jones on waivers.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (58)