Feb 16, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
The Flames on Saturday reassigned Irving to the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League and recalled Danny Taylor.
Irving and Taylor have found themselves in a similar situation down on the farm, when Taylor was chosen over Irving as the Heat’s number one netminder.
“By sending Leland to Abbotsford at this time he does not require waivers. We want Leland to go down and work on sharpening his game. At the same time this enables us to continue to evaluate Danny Taylor at the NHL level,” Flames general manager Jay Feaster said in a statement released by the club.
Irving, 24, is the Flames’ first-round, 26th overall, selection from the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
Irving allowed two goals on only four shots faced in his last start for Calgary, against the St. Louis Blues Friday. He was pulled after just four minutes and seven seconds of the first period. The Flames as a team gave up four goals in the first period and went on to lose 5-2.
The Flames also put centre Blair Jones on waivers.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 19
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5