Feb 15, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
Friday marked the second straight day of NHL Olympic participation meetings in New York. Four parties — the NHL, NHLPA, IIHF and IOC — met to discuss a variety of topics, but two participants stood out above the rest:
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and IIHF president Rene Fasel.
Why? Well, the two haven’t always worked together harmoniously and, as Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston points out, the days leading up to the meeting weren’t exactly ideal:
There was more than a hint of tension in the air. Relationships are frayed.
Rene Fasel, the wildcard who wears two hats (IIHF and IOC), certainly didn’t help things. He not only told the CBC last weekend that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman had “no other choice” but to allow players to go to Sochi, but also said that it was “ego from some people in North America” that was keeping it from happening.
At this point it doesn’t even matter that there is a small grain of truth in those statements. Finger-pointing and name-calling, especially from someone in Fasel’s position, isn’t going to help the process along.
Despite that, there was optimism emanating from Friday’s meeting. Johnston said there was a “feeling” that discussions “got started in the right direction” this week.
On that note, here are Bettman and Fasel addressing the media:
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 1
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 7
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 15
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 17
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)