Feb 14, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
Hockey fans won’t know this week if NHL players will be participating in the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
“I don’t expect any resolution or decisions this week,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Associated Press in an email on Thursday.
So…what’s the hold up?
Last week, TSN’s Bob McKenzie called NHL participation “just short of a foregone conclusion,” suggesting a deal between the league, players’ association, IIHF, and IOC — all of whom were set to meet today and tomorrow in New York — was imminent.
But as Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston writes today, it might not be so easy to get all the parties to agree.
…don’t for a second believe that the NHL’s participation in a fifth straight Olympic Games is as much a certainty as we’ve all thought. On the eve of the meetings, two sources who view the issue from different vantage points told sportsnet.ca that they could envision a scenario in which a deal isn’t reached.
There was more than a hint of tension in the air. Relationships are frayed.
Rene Fasel, the wildcard who wears two hats (IIHF and IOC), certainly didn’t help things. He not only told the CBC last weekend that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman had “no other choice” but to allow players to go to Sochi, but also said that it was “ego from some people in North America” that was keeping it from happening.
At this point it doesn’t even matter that there is a small grain of truth in those statements. Finger-pointing and name-calling, especially from someone in Fasel’s position, isn’t going to help the process along.
Chances are, a deal gets done eventually. But maybe not before some chest-thumping and rhetoric-spitting.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 5
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 14
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)