Feb 13, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have placed veteran forward Dainius Zubrus on injured reserve and have called up center Andrei Loktionov from AHL Albany.
It remains unclear exactly what ails Zubrus, who has missed the last four games with what’s being called an upper-body injury.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello wouldn’t discuss the nature of the injury but said Zubrus is being treated with medication, and that surgery has not been ruled out.
“We’re putting Zubrus on IR. We’re still not sure how long it will be,” Lamoriello told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “We’ll have more knowledge over the next 48 hours.”
Loktionov, acquired from Los Angeles last week in exchange for a fifth-round pick, has appeared in two games for Albany, recording no points with a minus-1 rating.
The 22-year-old has appeared in 59 career NHL contests, first busting onto the scene with the Kings in 2010-11, when made an impressive rookie debut by scoring 4G-3A-7PTS in 19 games.
Of note, Loktionov spent the 2008-09 season with OHL Windsor, where one of his teammates was Devils forward Adam Henrique.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 3
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 13
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 16
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)