Feb 13, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils have placed veteran forward Dainius Zubrus on injured reserve and have called up center Andrei Loktionov from AHL Albany.
It remains unclear exactly what ails Zubrus, who has missed the last four games with what’s being called an upper-body injury.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello wouldn’t discuss the nature of the injury but said Zubrus is being treated with medication, and that surgery has not been ruled out.
“We’re putting Zubrus on IR. We’re still not sure how long it will be,” Lamoriello told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “We’ll have more knowledge over the next 48 hours.”
Loktionov, acquired from Los Angeles last week in exchange for a fifth-round pick, has appeared in two games for Albany, recording no points with a minus-1 rating.
The 22-year-old has appeared in 59 career NHL contests, first busting onto the scene with the Kings in 2010-11, when made an impressive rookie debut by scoring 4G-3A-7PTS in 19 games.
Of note, Loktionov spent the 2008-09 season with OHL Windsor, where one of his teammates was Devils forward Adam Henrique.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 50
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (140)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)