Feb 11, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
On Sunday, the Blues took Jaroslav Halak (groin) off injured reserve.
One day later, it appears he might be headed back on.
That was the story out of St. Louis on Monday as the Slovak netminder re-aggravated his groin injury during warmups for tonight’s contest against Los Angeles, Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
The development forced Brian Elliott into action, which no doubt tweaked Ken Hitchcock. The Blues head coach had been vocal in his displeasure with Elliott’s play as of late, saying “he’s got to be better” while suggesting that, if Halak was unable to play tonight, he would’ve gone with rookie netminder Jake Allen between the pipes.
Just one problem — when Halak cleared IR, Allen was sent back to AHL Peoria.
In Elliott’s defense, he has played reasonably well in the opening frame against Los Angeles, allowing just one goal on seven shots.
Kings forward Jeff Carter scored midway through the period for the game’s lone marker thus far.
Rutherford reports that St. Louis will update Halak’s condition following tonight’s game.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 0
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 19
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)