Jan 29, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Today, Subban’s teammates were asked for their reaction to the news that the talented 23-year-old would be returning to the lineup.
And in what’s sure to raise eyebrows, the Canadian Press reports that the reception in the Habs’ dressing room was “surprisingly chilly.”
First, there was defenseman Andrei Markov, who refused to comment until Subban was “in the room.”
Then, there was defenseman Josh Gorges, who would only say he was glad the whole episode was over.
But was Gorges happy to have Subban back?
“Like I said, it’s good that it’s over and done with and it’s settled,” said Gorges. “We don’t have to have these talks in the morning of what-if-this and what-if-that. It’s over. We can focus on playing hockey.”
Meanwhile, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien not-so-subtly hinted that Subban has some work to do in the camaraderie department.
“One thing I demand of my players is to be good teammates,” Therrien said, per NHL.com. “When a group of players buys into being good teammates, then you can move forward.”
Subban’s popularity (or lack thereof) with his teammates has been a hot topic for much of his time with the club.
Don’t expect that topic to go away anytime soon.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 2
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 14
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)