Jan 29, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
Today, Subban’s teammates were asked for their reaction to the news that the talented 23-year-old would be returning to the lineup.
And in what’s sure to raise eyebrows, the Canadian Press reports that the reception in the Habs’ dressing room was “surprisingly chilly.”
First, there was defenseman Andrei Markov, who refused to comment until Subban was “in the room.”
Then, there was defenseman Josh Gorges, who would only say he was glad the whole episode was over.
But was Gorges happy to have Subban back?
“Like I said, it’s good that it’s over and done with and it’s settled,” said Gorges. “We don’t have to have these talks in the morning of what-if-this and what-if-that. It’s over. We can focus on playing hockey.”
Meanwhile, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien not-so-subtly hinted that Subban has some work to do in the camaraderie department.
“One thing I demand of my players is to be good teammates,” Therrien said, per NHL.com. “When a group of players buys into being good teammates, then you can move forward.”
Subban’s popularity (or lack thereof) with his teammates has been a hot topic for much of his time with the club.
Don’t expect that topic to go away anytime soon.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 4
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)