Jan 25, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
Three games into the 2013 season, and the defending Stanley Cup champion L.A. Kings are still searching for their first win.
They were less than five seconds away from the feat Thursday night in Edmonton.
The Kings held a 1-0 lead over the Edmonton Oilers thanks to a second period goal from Jeff Carter, but Nail Yakupov scored with 4.7 seconds remaining in regulation time, slapping the puck out of mid-air and past goalie Jonathan Quick.
For Yakupov, the first overall pick in last June’s NHL Entry Draft, it was his second goal of his rookie season. He celebrated by frantically throwing his hands in the air, skating wildly to the Kings blue line then dropping to his knees.
His slide took him inside his own blue line, almost to his own net, reminiscent of Theo Fleury’s renowned celebration from 1991.
It didn’t sit well with the Kings.
Stoll on Yakupov “It wasn’t something that was looked in a positive light in our dressing room but so be it he made a good play on the goal”—
Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) January 25, 2013
The Kings still salvaged the single point, but came away with a 2-1 overtime loss. Oilers forward Sam Gagner scored his first goal of the season on the power play with 1:59 remaining in the extra period to give Edmonton the win.
Even Quick’s 37 saves weren’t enough.
The 35-year-old Mitchell still has yet to play a game this year for L.A., despite being cleared to play following knee surgery during the lockout.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)