Jan 22, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
Scott Gomez’s flirtation with the San Jose Sharks should officially become marriage today, tweets TSN’s Darren Dreger.
“At least it’s headed in that direction now,” added Dreger (just in case it doesn’t happen).
Gomez has been traveling and skating with the Sharks as part of an evaluation period, so a deal wouldn’t come as a surprise.
The 33-year-old center was bought out of his contract by the Canadiens last week, freeing him to sign with any team in the NHL.
Gomez is coming off a nightmare 2011-12 season in which he scored just two goals in 38 games and missed significant time due to various injuries.
On the Sharks, he could provide inexpensive veteran depth down the middle. And given he’s only three years removed from a 47-assist season, you never know, maybe he could rediscover some of his old offensive flair.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)