Jan 22, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
Scott Gomez’s flirtation with the San Jose Sharks should officially become marriage today, tweets TSN’s Darren Dreger.
“At least it’s headed in that direction now,” added Dreger (just in case it doesn’t happen).
Gomez has been traveling and skating with the Sharks as part of an evaluation period, so a deal wouldn’t come as a surprise.
The 33-year-old center was bought out of his contract by the Canadiens last week, freeing him to sign with any team in the NHL.
Gomez is coming off a nightmare 2011-12 season in which he scored just two goals in 38 games and missed significant time due to various injuries.
On the Sharks, he could provide inexpensive veteran depth down the middle. And given he’s only three years removed from a 47-assist season, you never know, maybe he could rediscover some of his old offensive flair.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30