Jan 22, 2013, 11:55 AM EST
Scott Gomez’s flirtation with the San Jose Sharks should officially become marriage today, tweets TSN’s Darren Dreger.
“At least it’s headed in that direction now,” added Dreger (just in case it doesn’t happen).
Gomez has been traveling and skating with the Sharks as part of an evaluation period, so a deal wouldn’t come as a surprise.
The 33-year-old center was bought out of his contract by the Canadiens last week, freeing him to sign with any team in the NHL.
Gomez is coming off a nightmare 2011-12 season in which he scored just two goals in 38 games and missed significant time due to various injuries.
On the Sharks, he could provide inexpensive veteran depth down the middle. And given he’s only three years removed from a 47-assist season, you never know, maybe he could rediscover some of his old offensive flair.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)