Jan 22, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
Scott Gomez’s flirtation with the San Jose Sharks should officially become marriage today, tweets TSN’s Darren Dreger.
“At least it’s headed in that direction now,” added Dreger (just in case it doesn’t happen).
Gomez has been traveling and skating with the Sharks as part of an evaluation period, so a deal wouldn’t come as a surprise.
The 33-year-old center was bought out of his contract by the Canadiens last week, freeing him to sign with any team in the NHL.
Gomez is coming off a nightmare 2011-12 season in which he scored just two goals in 38 games and missed significant time due to various injuries.
On the Sharks, he could provide inexpensive veteran depth down the middle. And given he’s only three years removed from a 47-assist season, you never know, maybe he could rediscover some of his old offensive flair.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20