Jan 21, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes allowed a total of 10 goals in two losses this weekend, so it’s not surprising that they decided to make a tweak or two. Specifically, the team swapped young blueliners on Monday as they recalled Mike Stone from the AHL and sent David Rundblad down to Portland.
Stone is a 22-year-old blueliner praised for his two-way play. He was drafted in third round (69th overalll) in 2008. The Winnipeg native has a decent amount of NHL experience under his belt as he played in 13 regular season games and two postseason contests last season.
Rundblad (also 22) has the kind of offensive talent that prompted St. Louis to draft him in the first round, but his work in his own end probably explains why he’s bounced around league systems in a short time. He has a -14 rating in 31 NHL games, including a -2 in Saturday’s 4-3 loss to the Dallas Stars.
As excited as the Coyotes are about both blueliners long-term, these aren’t the moves that single-handedly change a team’s fortunes.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)