Jan 21, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes allowed a total of 10 goals in two losses this weekend, so it’s not surprising that they decided to make a tweak or two. Specifically, the team swapped young blueliners on Monday as they recalled Mike Stone from the AHL and sent David Rundblad down to Portland.
Stone is a 22-year-old blueliner praised for his two-way play. He was drafted in third round (69th overalll) in 2008. The Winnipeg native has a decent amount of NHL experience under his belt as he played in 13 regular season games and two postseason contests last season.
Rundblad (also 22) has the kind of offensive talent that prompted St. Louis to draft him in the first round, but his work in his own end probably explains why he’s bounced around league systems in a short time. He has a -14 rating in 31 NHL games, including a -2 in Saturday’s 4-3 loss to the Dallas Stars.
As excited as the Coyotes are about both blueliners long-term, these aren’t the moves that single-handedly change a team’s fortunes.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)