Oct 9, 2011, 2:17 AM EDT
File Smith under the “If only it was that easy … ” category, though. Sure, Smith isn’t an ideal number one goalie, but the Coyotes don’t sport an ideal anything, really. (OK, Dave Tippett might be an ideal coach, but he has his hands full with a team that has little beyond Shane Doan and Keith Yandle.)
The Sharks pounded 52 shots on Smith, including 38 through the first two periods when they scored those six goals. The Coyotes took 29 during the entire game and only managed to score on the power play, which isn’t a fantastic sign for a team that will likely try to make their money at even strength.
As with any result from this weekend – or really the first two months, if you want to kill everyone’s fun – it’s important to avoid overreactions. Still, the Coyotes’ roster doesn’t exactly scream “playoff team” right now.
Most disturbingly, one could argue that their defense was overrated last season, too. Shots totals can be misleading, but many might be surprised that they allowed the third most spots in 2010-11. Ilya Bryzgalov was the difference-maker for them, just like Tim Thomas was for the Boston Bruins (who allowed the second most).
The good news is that the Sharks are one of the best teams in the NHL – especially at scoring goals – so things shouldn’t be this rotten for Smith and the Coyotes all season long. That being said, it might take Tippett’s best coaching job yet to get this team in playoff contention.
Update: Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz echoes these sentiments, stating that Smith only allowed two “soft” goals in that 6-3 loss.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)