Oct 9, 2011, 2:17 AM EDT
File Smith under the “If only it was that easy … ” category, though. Sure, Smith isn’t an ideal number one goalie, but the Coyotes don’t sport an ideal anything, really. (OK, Dave Tippett might be an ideal coach, but he has his hands full with a team that has little beyond Shane Doan and Keith Yandle.)
The Sharks pounded 52 shots on Smith, including 38 through the first two periods when they scored those six goals. The Coyotes took 29 during the entire game and only managed to score on the power play, which isn’t a fantastic sign for a team that will likely try to make their money at even strength.
As with any result from this weekend – or really the first two months, if you want to kill everyone’s fun – it’s important to avoid overreactions. Still, the Coyotes’ roster doesn’t exactly scream “playoff team” right now.
Most disturbingly, one could argue that their defense was overrated last season, too. Shots totals can be misleading, but many might be surprised that they allowed the third most spots in 2010-11. Ilya Bryzgalov was the difference-maker for them, just like Tim Thomas was for the Boston Bruins (who allowed the second most).
The good news is that the Sharks are one of the best teams in the NHL – especially at scoring goals – so things shouldn’t be this rotten for Smith and the Coyotes all season long. That being said, it might take Tippett’s best coaching job yet to get this team in playoff contention.
Update: Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz echoes these sentiments, stating that Smith only allowed two “soft” goals in that 6-3 loss.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 11
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 54
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 80
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional