Jan 18, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
It might be surprising to some that there was a question about his place as the Sens’ top netminder – particularly after he nearly topped Henrik Lundqvist in the 2012 playoffs – but the team has some fairly attractive options behind him.
While Bishop sports a money-related edge because of his one-way contract, Garrioch reports that Lehner is expected to dress as Anderson’s backup tomorrow. Both understudies have been impressive in the AHL, as you can see from their stats:
Lehner: 14-5-1, 1.90 GAA and .945 save percentage
Bishop: 8-3-2, 2.59 GAA and .928 save percentage
Perhaps those numbers explain a) why people wonder if Anderson has a strong hold on the starting job and b) why Lehner is dressing on Saturday instead of Bishop.
From the look of things, Ottawa’s goalie battles are just starting to heat up, though.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)