Jan 8, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
When Jonathan Quick underwent, in the Kings’ words, a “minor surgical procedure” for an inflammatory cyst and a disc fragment back in August, the expectation was that Quick would be available around the start of training camp.
Of course, they meant when training camp was originally supposed to begin. Still, with the lockout about to end, Quick has finally received medical clearance, according to the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott.
The timing of his injury and recovery meant that Quick continued to receive payments on his $1.7 million annual salary during the work stoppage. Those paychecks will balloon in 2013-14 when his 10-year, $58 million deal kicks in.
Quick was, of course, a huge part of the Kings’ Stanley Cup-winning run and it would have been a serious challenge for them to live up to expectations through the first half of the season without him.
Then again, it would have been an opportunity for backup goaltender Jonathan Bernier to show what he can do. As it is, the Bernier trade rumors should heat up again now that the season has been saved.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)