Jul 12, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
In fact, the 23-year-old goalie reportedly asked to be traded before the deadline, but the Kings refused.
Bernier then spent the entire playoffs on the bench watching Jonathan Quick win the Conn Smythe Trophy.
Quick then signed a 10-year contract extension, all but ensuring Bernier, the 11th overall pick in the 2006 draft, would be moving on.
If it’s true that Bernier asked to be dealt at the deadline, it’s no surprise the club said no. At the time, Quick only had a year left on his contract, after which he could become an unrestricted free agent. For the Kings, trading Bernier then watching Quick walk away next summer would’ve been the worst-case scenario.
The challenge for the Kings now is to maximize Bernier’s trade value. His numbers in 2011-12 were passable – a 5-6-2 record with a .909 save percentage — but not great.
It could be argued GM Dean Lombardi would be better off keeping Bernier in a backup role in hopes those numbers improve.
According to Lariviere, however, Bernier expects to be traded close to training camp and “preferably close to home.”
Bernier is spending the day showing off the Stanley Cup in his hometown of Laval, Quebec, which is just north of Montreal. If he wants to be traded close to home, hopefully somebody told him Carey Price just signed a big contract with the Canadiens.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)