Jan 7, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are set to lose another long-time member to retirement.
Goalie menace and power play goal scorer Tomas Holmstrom is set to call it a career according to Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily in Michigan.
Earlier in the summer, it was believed Holmstrom and Nicklas Lidstrom’s fates would be intertwined as they’re very good friends. When Lidstrom announced his retirement, Holmstrom was still undecided on his future as recently as September.
Instead, at 39 years-old he’ll be retiring from the game and leaving behind a legacy that sees him as a folk hero in Detroit and despised by fans and goalies everywhere else.
In 15 seasons in the NHL, all with the Red Wings, Holmstrom won four Stanley Cups and finished with 243 goals. He also earned a reputation for bringing misery to opponents in front of the net thanks to his posterior and his stick work.
Detroit will likely give a shot to youngster Gustav Nyqvist to earn a larger role with the team and provide the goals they’ll lose with Holmstrom’s retirement.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)