Sep 7, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
When it comes to deciding his future, 39-year-old Tomas Holmstrom clearly isn’t rushing to a decision. Even though we’re now well into September, the unrestricted free agent hasn’t decided if he wants to play in 2012-13 or retire.
“I will take my time,” Holmstrom said, in a Detroit Free Press report.
Should Holmstrom decide to extend his career, it would be his intention to re-sign with the Detroit Red Wings. That might be a problem though, as it’s not clear if they would have a spot for him.
Detroit already has 13 players signed to one-way contracts and Justin Abdelkader is still a restricted free agent.
Holmstrom averaged just 11:52 minutes per game in 2011-12 and he’ll likely be restricted to a bottom-six forward role again in 2012-13 if he re-signs with them.
He was originally a 10th round pick and has played in 1,026 NHL games — all with the Detroit Red Wings. That’s good enough for sixth place on Detroit’s all-time franchise rankings, behind only Kris Draper, Steve Yzerman, Alex Delvecchio, Nicklas Lidstrom, and Gordie Howe.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)