Sep 7, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
When it comes to deciding his future, 39-year-old Tomas Holmstrom clearly isn’t rushing to a decision. Even though we’re now well into September, the unrestricted free agent hasn’t decided if he wants to play in 2012-13 or retire.
“I will take my time,” Holmstrom said, in a Detroit Free Press report.
Should Holmstrom decide to extend his career, it would be his intention to re-sign with the Detroit Red Wings. That might be a problem though, as it’s not clear if they would have a spot for him.
Detroit already has 13 players signed to one-way contracts and Justin Abdelkader is still a restricted free agent.
Holmstrom averaged just 11:52 minutes per game in 2011-12 and he’ll likely be restricted to a bottom-six forward role again in 2012-13 if he re-signs with them.
He was originally a 10th round pick and has played in 1,026 NHL games — all with the Detroit Red Wings. That’s good enough for sixth place on Detroit’s all-time franchise rankings, behind only Kris Draper, Steve Yzerman, Alex Delvecchio, Nicklas Lidstrom, and Gordie Howe.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)