Sep 7, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
When it comes to deciding his future, 39-year-old Tomas Holmstrom clearly isn’t rushing to a decision. Even though we’re now well into September, the unrestricted free agent hasn’t decided if he wants to play in 2012-13 or retire.
“I will take my time,” Holmstrom said, in a Detroit Free Press report.
Should Holmstrom decide to extend his career, it would be his intention to re-sign with the Detroit Red Wings. That might be a problem though, as it’s not clear if they would have a spot for him.
Detroit already has 13 players signed to one-way contracts and Justin Abdelkader is still a restricted free agent.
Holmstrom averaged just 11:52 minutes per game in 2011-12 and he’ll likely be restricted to a bottom-six forward role again in 2012-13 if he re-signs with them.
He was originally a 10th round pick and has played in 1,026 NHL games — all with the Detroit Red Wings. That’s good enough for sixth place on Detroit’s all-time franchise rankings, behind only Kris Draper, Steve Yzerman, Alex Delvecchio, Nicklas Lidstrom, and Gordie Howe.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 23
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)