Sep 7, 2012, 6:43 PM EST
When it comes to deciding his future, 39-year-old Tomas Holmstrom clearly isn’t rushing to a decision. Even though we’re now well into September, the unrestricted free agent hasn’t decided if he wants to play in 2012-13 or retire.
“I will take my time,” Holmstrom said, in a Detroit Free Press report.
Should Holmstrom decide to extend his career, it would be his intention to re-sign with the Detroit Red Wings. That might be a problem though, as it’s not clear if they would have a spot for him.
Detroit already has 13 players signed to one-way contracts and Justin Abdelkader is still a restricted free agent.
Holmstrom averaged just 11:52 minutes per game in 2011-12 and he’ll likely be restricted to a bottom-six forward role again in 2012-13 if he re-signs with them.
He was originally a 10th round pick and has played in 1,026 NHL games — all with the Detroit Red Wings. That’s good enough for sixth place on Detroit’s all-time franchise rankings, behind only Kris Draper, Steve Yzerman, Alex Delvecchio, Nicklas Lidstrom, and Gordie Howe.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)