Jan 7, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
Almost immediately after a tentative CBA was reached Sunday, it was reported that Greg Jamison’s investment group was on the verge of announcing that it had finally purchased the Phoenix Coyotes from the NHL.
Today, deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TVA Sports that the league still expected the deal to close by the end of the month and that a sale price had been agreed on.
But as we’ve said numerous times throughout this saga, nothing’s done until it’s done. And according to the Phoenix Business Journal, Jamison is still pulling together the required funds.
That includes some possible financing help from the National Hockey League, which has owned the Coyotes since 2009, according to officials familiar with the potential sale.
If Jamison ends up closing (with a loan from the NHL or however), it will be interesting to see if the Coyotes can make a go of it in the desert. The new CBA will help challenged markets, but even with a smaller cut of revenues going to the players and increased revenue sharing, the rich clubs could still drag teams like the Coyotes into a game they can’t afford to play.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 0
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)