Jan 6, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
It appears another long, frustrating NHL story may be over, as Sportsnet’s John Shannon reports that Greg Jamison’s investor group is on the verge of announcing its purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes from the NHL.
If true, Jamison will purchase a franchise that’s been in flux since former owner Jerry Moyes put it into bankruptcy in 2009. Moyes’ intention, despite the NHL’s objections, was to sell the team to Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie, who planned to move it to Hamilton, Ontario. Eventually, after a lengthy court battle, the league bought the club.
Who exactly comprises Jamison’s ownership group has remained a mystery. The former Sharks executive has declined to share that information, even with the City of Glendale, which recently signed a controversial arena-management deal that calls for $320 million to be paid to Jamison’s group over a 20-year term.
Presumably the end of the lockout is related to the timing of this report, as Jamison would have been hesitant to purchase the Coyotes if the season were canceled and players started to file antitrust suits.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)