Jan 3, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
It appears the NHL and NHLPA are getting closer on a number of sticking points for a new CBA, including a key one for 2013-14.
The league has reportedly agreed to two compliance buyouts per team next season, according to Sportsnet’s Michael Grange. This would coincide with a salary cap decrease for 2013-14, which is believed to be in the $10 million neighborhood (from $70.2 this year to around $60 million.)
Under the league’s proposal, each team would be allowed two buyouts that wouldn’t count against the cap but, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, will count against hockey-related revenue.
The NBA put a similar clause in its recently signed CBA. Notably, the “amnesty” provision allowed the Magic to bid adieu to Gilbert Arenas and the Knicks to rid themselves of Chauncey Billups’ contract (so they could afford Tyson Chandler).
As Brough mentioned in an earlier post, there are a number of NHL teams that would be in financial trouble should the cap drop to $60 million for 2013-14. (He also wrote about a few likely buyout candidates.)
Montreal’s Scott Gomez, Toronto’s Mike Komisarek, Vancouver’s Keith Ballard and Calgary’s Matt Stajan are all viable buyout options given how much cap space they eat (all have cap hits of at least $3.5 million per season) and the fact none are signed past 2015.
Buying out players with long-term contracts is less likely, as those players will still need to be paid their salaries according to the buyout formula.
Of course, there could be an exception allowing teams to assume part of the salary of a bought out player.
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 14
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)