Dec 28, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
Unless the NHL ends up pulling its latest CBA offer from the table, it appears there will be some form of compliance buyouts to help the transition to a lower salary cap in 2013-14.
Under the league’s new proposal, each team would be allowed one buyout that wouldn’t count against the cap; however, the money would come out of the players’ share (which the union may take issue with).
The NBA put a similar clause in its recently signed CBA. Notably, the “amnesty” provision allowed the Magic to bid adieu to Gilbert Arenas and the Knicks to rid themselves of Chauncey Billups’ contract (so they could afford Tyson Chandler).
Compliance buyouts will be most welcomed by the NHL’s big spenders. The league reportedly wants a $60 million salary cap next season (which again, the union may take issue with), significantly lower than the current $70.2 million.
Among the potential buyout candidates:
Buying out players with long-term contracts is less likely, as those players will still need to be paid their salaries according to the buyout formula. (Unless there’s some sort of exception that allows a team to assume part of the salary of a bought out player.)
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)