Jan 2, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
Much has been made about how damaging the lockout might be for the Los Angeles Kings in a market brimming with distractions, but many ignore the impact of extra healing time. Jonathan Quick‘s recovery from back surgery might just be the leading example.
ESPN’s Craig Custance reports that Quick is heading to Los Angeles on Thursday to see if he can receive medical clearance on that repaired back.
The Conn Smythe-winning goalie underwent the procedure to fix an inflammatory cyst and disc fragment in August, with the Kings initially expecting him to be good to go by standard training camp time.
(Well, unless team exec Ron Hextall was just making a really accurate prediction about the lockout.)
Losing Quick for any amount of time won’t be ideal for the Kings, but at least he can be spelled by much-touted backup Jonathan Bernier.
His numbers have lagged behind Quick’s stats despite first-round hype, yet contract year pressure could very well push Bernier to excel if the Kings’ workhorse No. 1 begins the season on the IR.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 27
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 4
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 45
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 81
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1