Dec 24, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
The International Ice Hockey Federation has suspended Team Canada forward Boone Jenner three games for a hit on Swedish defenseman Jesper Pettersson.
As a result, Jenner will miss Canada’s opening three matches of the 2013 World Junior tourney against Germany, Slovakia and the U.S.
The incident occurred during Saturday’s exhibition in Helsinki. Jenner caught the Swedish defenseman with a heavy hit in the second period and received a five-minute charging major and game misconduct.
Pettersson left the ice on a stretcher and was later diagnosed with a dislocated shoulder and fractured wrist. The injuries knocked him out of the tournament.
Here’s the explanation for Jenner’s suspension, courtesy IIHF.com:
The video material indicated that the hit was late and delivered with no intention to play the puck and with Pettersson being in a vulnerable position. The five-man IIHF Disciplinary Panel is of the opinion that the application of playing rule 552b (Charging) is correct and that it was Jenner’s intention to deliver the forceful check in spite of having the opportunity to at least make an attempt to avoid contact on Petterson.
The hit was delivered far too late. This resulted in an injury to Sweden’s Petterson and for this Jenner is to be held accountable.
And here’s the video of the hit:
This isn’t the first time Jenner’s received supplementary discipline from the IIHF.
At last year’s WJC Tournament, he was suspended from Canada’s bronze medal game after spearing Russian captain Evgeni Kuznetsov in the semifinals.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 0
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 7
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 18
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 6
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 55
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20