Dec 24, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
The International Ice Hockey Federation has suspended Team Canada forward Boone Jenner three games for a hit on Swedish defenseman Jesper Pettersson.
As a result, Jenner will miss Canada’s opening three matches of the 2013 World Junior tourney against Germany, Slovakia and the U.S.
The incident occurred during Saturday’s exhibition in Helsinki. Jenner caught the Swedish defenseman with a heavy hit in the second period and received a five-minute charging major and game misconduct.
Pettersson left the ice on a stretcher and was later diagnosed with a dislocated shoulder and fractured wrist. The injuries knocked him out of the tournament.
Here’s the explanation for Jenner’s suspension, courtesy IIHF.com:
The video material indicated that the hit was late and delivered with no intention to play the puck and with Pettersson being in a vulnerable position. The five-man IIHF Disciplinary Panel is of the opinion that the application of playing rule 552b (Charging) is correct and that it was Jenner’s intention to deliver the forceful check in spite of having the opportunity to at least make an attempt to avoid contact on Petterson.
The hit was delivered far too late. This resulted in an injury to Sweden’s Petterson and for this Jenner is to be held accountable.
And here’s the video of the hit:
This isn’t the first time Jenner’s received supplementary discipline from the IIHF.
At last year’s WJC Tournament, he was suspended from Canada’s bronze medal game after spearing Russian captain Evgeni Kuznetsov in the semifinals.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)