Dec 24, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
The International Ice Hockey Federation has suspended Team Canada forward Boone Jenner three games for a hit on Swedish defenseman Jesper Pettersson.
As a result, Jenner will miss Canada’s opening three matches of the 2013 World Junior tourney against Germany, Slovakia and the U.S.
The incident occurred during Saturday’s exhibition in Helsinki. Jenner caught the Swedish defenseman with a heavy hit in the second period and received a five-minute charging major and game misconduct.
Pettersson left the ice on a stretcher and was later diagnosed with a dislocated shoulder and fractured wrist. The injuries knocked him out of the tournament.
Here’s the explanation for Jenner’s suspension, courtesy IIHF.com:
The video material indicated that the hit was late and delivered with no intention to play the puck and with Pettersson being in a vulnerable position. The five-man IIHF Disciplinary Panel is of the opinion that the application of playing rule 552b (Charging) is correct and that it was Jenner’s intention to deliver the forceful check in spite of having the opportunity to at least make an attempt to avoid contact on Petterson.
The hit was delivered far too late. This resulted in an injury to Sweden’s Petterson and for this Jenner is to be held accountable.
And here’s the video of the hit:
This isn’t the first time Jenner’s received supplementary discipline from the IIHF.
At last year’s WJC Tournament, he was suspended from Canada’s bronze medal game after spearing Russian captain Evgeni Kuznetsov in the semifinals.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 2
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)