Dec 24, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
The International Ice Hockey Federation has suspended Team Canada forward Boone Jenner three games for a hit on Swedish defenseman Jesper Pettersson.
As a result, Jenner will miss Canada’s opening three matches of the 2013 World Junior tourney against Germany, Slovakia and the U.S.
The incident occurred during Saturday’s exhibition in Helsinki. Jenner caught the Swedish defenseman with a heavy hit in the second period and received a five-minute charging major and game misconduct.
Pettersson left the ice on a stretcher and was later diagnosed with a dislocated shoulder and fractured wrist. The injuries knocked him out of the tournament.
Here’s the explanation for Jenner’s suspension, courtesy IIHF.com:
The video material indicated that the hit was late and delivered with no intention to play the puck and with Pettersson being in a vulnerable position. The five-man IIHF Disciplinary Panel is of the opinion that the application of playing rule 552b (Charging) is correct and that it was Jenner’s intention to deliver the forceful check in spite of having the opportunity to at least make an attempt to avoid contact on Petterson.
The hit was delivered far too late. This resulted in an injury to Sweden’s Petterson and for this Jenner is to be held accountable.
And here’s the video of the hit:
This isn’t the first time Jenner’s received supplementary discipline from the IIHF.
At last year’s WJC Tournament, he was suspended from Canada’s bronze medal game after spearing Russian captain Evgeni Kuznetsov in the semifinals.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)