Dec 24, 2012, 3:09 PM EST
The International Ice Hockey Federation has suspended Team Canada forward Boone Jenner three games for a hit on Swedish defenseman Jesper Pettersson.
As a result, Jenner will miss Canada’s opening three matches of the 2013 World Junior tourney against Germany, Slovakia and the U.S.
The incident occurred during Saturday’s exhibition in Helsinki. Jenner caught the Swedish defenseman with a heavy hit in the second period and received a five-minute charging major and game misconduct.
Pettersson left the ice on a stretcher and was later diagnosed with a dislocated shoulder and fractured wrist. The injuries knocked him out of the tournament.
Here’s the explanation for Jenner’s suspension, courtesy IIHF.com:
The video material indicated that the hit was late and delivered with no intention to play the puck and with Pettersson being in a vulnerable position. The five-man IIHF Disciplinary Panel is of the opinion that the application of playing rule 552b (Charging) is correct and that it was Jenner’s intention to deliver the forceful check in spite of having the opportunity to at least make an attempt to avoid contact on Petterson.
The hit was delivered far too late. This resulted in an injury to Sweden’s Petterson and for this Jenner is to be held accountable.
And here’s the video of the hit:
This isn’t the first time Jenner’s received supplementary discipline from the IIHF.
At last year’s WJC Tournament, he was suspended from Canada’s bronze medal game after spearing Russian captain Evgeni Kuznetsov in the semifinals.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)