Dec 24, 2012, 12:43 PM EST
Columbus GM Scott Howson has jumped to the defense of prized prospect Boone Jenner.
“It was not a malicious hit,” Howson said of the check Jenner put on Swedish defenseman Jesper Pettersson, now out of the WJC tourney with a dislocated shoulder and fractured wrist.
“It was a little late.”
Jenner was assessed a five-minute charging major and game misconduct for the hit, which was also defended by Canadian head coach Steve Spott.
Ultimately, our feeling is [the hit] was shoulder-to-shoulder,” Spott said. “If anything, maybe interference or a charge but definitely not something that’s worth suspending, because although Boone is an aggressive player, he didn’t target anybody’s head and he didn’t leave his feet.”
The hit will reportedly be reviewed by the IIHF on Monday with a ruling coming by Tuesday.
It’ll be interesting to see if Jenner’s reputation plays a role any upcoming decision. This is his second disciplinary incident in as many years — at the 2011 tourney, he was was suspended for the bronze medal game after spearing a Russian player in a semifinal loss.
It should also be noted that Team Sweden GM Tommy Boustedt was livid following the Pettersson hit, saying Jenner’s intent was to injure.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)