Dec 24, 2012, 12:43 PM EST
Columbus GM Scott Howson has jumped to the defense of prized prospect Boone Jenner.
“It was not a malicious hit,” Howson said of the check Jenner put on Swedish defenseman Jesper Pettersson, now out of the WJC tourney with a dislocated shoulder and fractured wrist.
“It was a little late.”
Jenner was assessed a five-minute charging major and game misconduct for the hit, which was also defended by Canadian head coach Steve Spott.
Ultimately, our feeling is [the hit] was shoulder-to-shoulder,” Spott said. “If anything, maybe interference or a charge but definitely not something that’s worth suspending, because although Boone is an aggressive player, he didn’t target anybody’s head and he didn’t leave his feet.”
The hit will reportedly be reviewed by the IIHF on Monday with a ruling coming by Tuesday.
It’ll be interesting to see if Jenner’s reputation plays a role any upcoming decision. This is his second disciplinary incident in as many years — at the 2011 tourney, he was was suspended for the bronze medal game after spearing a Russian player in a semifinal loss.
It should also be noted that Team Sweden GM Tommy Boustedt was livid following the Pettersson hit, saying Jenner’s intent was to injure.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)