Dec 14, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
Despite the recent meltdown in the CBA negotiations, the less than encouraging meetings with mediators that followed, and the NHLPA taking its first step towards potentially dissolving, there will be a 2012-13 season.
At least, Montreal Canadiens defenseman PK Subban thinks there will be. In fact, he guarantees it.
“At the end of the day,” Subban said on the Marek Vs. Wyshynski podcast. “I don’t think those are going to be deal-breakers. I think that we’re going to have a season based on the fact that we’re going to be able to negotiate something on those things. When? I don’t know. But I’d like to think that it’ll happen.”
Theoretically, contracting issues are the biggest thing still on the table, with the NHL seeking to cap the maximum length of contracts at five years, among other things. However, in reality, the sides might be further apart than that.
When talks collapsed last week, the NHL pulled its recent concessions off the table, including the Make Whole proposal. If the NHL holds that stance, then the two sides might not be close on dollar issues as well as contracting ones.
If you wish to hear more of Subban’s interview, you can do so below:
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 13
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 62
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 24
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming