Dec 14, 2012, 5:20 PM EST
Despite the recent meltdown in the CBA negotiations, the less than encouraging meetings with mediators that followed, and the NHLPA taking its first step towards potentially dissolving, there will be a 2012-13 season.
At least, Montreal Canadiens defenseman PK Subban thinks there will be. In fact, he guarantees it.
“At the end of the day,” Subban said on the Marek Vs. Wyshynski podcast. “I don’t think those are going to be deal-breakers. I think that we’re going to have a season based on the fact that we’re going to be able to negotiate something on those things. When? I don’t know. But I’d like to think that it’ll happen.”
Theoretically, contracting issues are the biggest thing still on the table, with the NHL seeking to cap the maximum length of contracts at five years, among other things. However, in reality, the sides might be further apart than that.
When talks collapsed last week, the NHL pulled its recent concessions off the table, including the Make Whole proposal. If the NHL holds that stance, then the two sides might not be close on dollar issues as well as contracting ones.
If you wish to hear more of Subban’s interview, you can do so below:
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)