Dec 5, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
A lot of NHL players are probably getting itchy to play some hockey thanks to the lockout and that means looking to play anywhere, even Utah.
Such is the case for new Montreal Canadiens forward Colby Armstrong as he signed a lockout deal with the ECHL’s Utah Grizzlies. He’ll join the team and begin practicing and working out with them immediately. Making things a little easier? His brother Riley is the captain there.
Seeing NHL players in the ECHL, essentially hockey’s version of AA-level baseball, isn’t anything new during the work stoppage. The Alaska Aces locked in Brandon Dubinsky, Nate Thompson, Joey Crabb, and Scott Gomez while Colorado’s Ryan O’Byrne is with the Florida Everblades.
With NHL labor talks getting serious now, you have to wonder if we might see more players taking a quick trip to the ECHL in order to get in shape for a possible shortened season.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 7
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 25
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 63
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control