Nov 29, 2012, 4:40 PM EST
The NHL and NHLPA have ended a second day of meetings with federal mediators, and it appears the two sides are no closer to reaching a new collective bargaining agreement
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports there’s “no traction or progress” coming from Thursday’s meeting, which was led by FMCS mediators Scot L. Beckenbaugh and John (Jack) Sweeney.
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun adds that no further mediation sessions have been planned.
The two sides met for most of Wednesday before departing with plans to resume talks on Thursday morning.
NHLPA executive Donald Fehr offered a short statement last night, outlining that a small group of union members met with a pair of FMCS mediators — it was expected that meetings would move from small, separate groups to today’s larger collaborative effort…which probably explains why no progress was made.
Of note, Renaud P Lavioe of RDS passes word that breaking off mediation doesn’t rule out the NHL and NHLPA using it again when (or, if) they get closer to an agreement.
We’ll have more to follow, assuming both the league and players’ union offer statements.
As for what’s next? Talks will inevitably turn to NHLPA/union decertification.
- Clarkson to have hearing for Sobotka headshot 0
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 68
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 86
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)