Nov 29, 2012, 4:40 PM EST
The NHL and NHLPA have ended a second day of meetings with federal mediators, and it appears the two sides are no closer to reaching a new collective bargaining agreement
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports there’s “no traction or progress” coming from Thursday’s meeting, which was led by FMCS mediators Scot L. Beckenbaugh and John (Jack) Sweeney.
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun adds that no further mediation sessions have been planned.
The two sides met for most of Wednesday before departing with plans to resume talks on Thursday morning.
NHLPA executive Donald Fehr offered a short statement last night, outlining that a small group of union members met with a pair of FMCS mediators — it was expected that meetings would move from small, separate groups to today’s larger collaborative effort…which probably explains why no progress was made.
Of note, Renaud P Lavioe of RDS passes word that breaking off mediation doesn’t rule out the NHL and NHLPA using it again when (or, if) they get closer to an agreement.
We’ll have more to follow, assuming both the league and players’ union offer statements.
As for what’s next? Talks will inevitably turn to NHLPA/union decertification.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 15
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)