Nov 29, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
The NHL and NHLPA have ended a second day of meetings with federal mediators, and it appears the two sides are no closer to reaching a new collective bargaining agreement
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports there’s “no traction or progress” coming from Thursday’s meeting, which was led by FMCS mediators Scot L. Beckenbaugh and John (Jack) Sweeney.
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun adds that no further mediation sessions have been planned.
The two sides met for most of Wednesday before departing with plans to resume talks on Thursday morning.
NHLPA executive Donald Fehr offered a short statement last night, outlining that a small group of union members met with a pair of FMCS mediators — it was expected that meetings would move from small, separate groups to today’s larger collaborative effort…which probably explains why no progress was made.
Of note, Renaud P Lavioe of RDS passes word that breaking off mediation doesn’t rule out the NHL and NHLPA using it again when (or, if) they get closer to an agreement.
We’ll have more to follow, assuming both the league and players’ union offer statements.
As for what’s next? Talks will inevitably turn to NHLPA/union decertification.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)