Nov 29, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
The NHL and NHLPA have ended a second day of meetings with federal mediators, and it appears the two sides are no closer to reaching a new collective bargaining agreement
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports there’s “no traction or progress” coming from Thursday’s meeting, which was led by FMCS mediators Scot L. Beckenbaugh and John (Jack) Sweeney.
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun adds that no further mediation sessions have been planned.
The two sides met for most of Wednesday before departing with plans to resume talks on Thursday morning.
NHLPA executive Donald Fehr offered a short statement last night, outlining that a small group of union members met with a pair of FMCS mediators — it was expected that meetings would move from small, separate groups to today’s larger collaborative effort…which probably explains why no progress was made.
Of note, Renaud P Lavioe of RDS passes word that breaking off mediation doesn’t rule out the NHL and NHLPA using it again when (or, if) they get closer to an agreement.
We’ll have more to follow, assuming both the league and players’ union offer statements.
As for what’s next? Talks will inevitably turn to NHLPA/union decertification.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)