Nov 22, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Last month in our “Ask a Lawyer” series, we touched briefly on the topic of union decertification.
Back then, it wasn’t something we wanted to spend too much time discussing, since it was seen as more of a “last resort” type thing for the players.
Also, it was super boring.
But now, with the NHL and NHLPA still without a CBA, we’re hearing more and more about it.
Which is just awesome.
Both stories suggest players are starting to consider dissolving the union in order to pursue an antitrust lawsuit against the NHL.
In fact, one anonymous player tells the Globe the time has come to “blow it up” (with “it” being the union).
If the players do choose to go the decertification route, it’s impossible to say how things will turn out. The owners may choose to fight with every lawyer they’ve got (and they’ve got a bunch of them), or they could decide it’s not worth the mess and soften their demands of the players, thus resulting in a new CBA.
In closing, we’d like to thank the 12 people who actually clicked on this link, by mistake or otherwise.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 28
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 51
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 41
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)