Nov 22, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Last month in our “Ask a Lawyer” series, we touched briefly on the topic of union decertification.
Back then, it wasn’t something we wanted to spend too much time discussing, since it was seen as more of a “last resort” type thing for the players.
Also, it was super boring.
But now, with the NHL and NHLPA still without a CBA, we’re hearing more and more about it.
Which is just awesome.
Both stories suggest players are starting to consider dissolving the union in order to pursue an antitrust lawsuit against the NHL.
In fact, one anonymous player tells the Globe the time has come to “blow it up” (with “it” being the union).
If the players do choose to go the decertification route, it’s impossible to say how things will turn out. The owners may choose to fight with every lawyer they’ve got (and they’ve got a bunch of them), or they could decide it’s not worth the mess and soften their demands of the players, thus resulting in a new CBA.
In closing, we’d like to thank the 12 people who actually clicked on this link, by mistake or otherwise.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)