Nov 22, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
Last month in our “Ask a Lawyer” series, we touched briefly on the topic of union decertification.
Back then, it wasn’t something we wanted to spend too much time discussing, since it was seen as more of a “last resort” type thing for the players.
Also, it was super boring.
But now, with the NHL and NHLPA still without a CBA, we’re hearing more and more about it.
Which is just awesome.
Both stories suggest players are starting to consider dissolving the union in order to pursue an antitrust lawsuit against the NHL.
In fact, one anonymous player tells the Globe the time has come to “blow it up” (with “it” being the union).
If the players do choose to go the decertification route, it’s impossible to say how things will turn out. The owners may choose to fight with every lawyer they’ve got (and they’ve got a bunch of them), or they could decide it’s not worth the mess and soften their demands of the players, thus resulting in a new CBA.
In closing, we’d like to thank the 12 people who actually clicked on this link, by mistake or otherwise.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)