Nov 25, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
When you’re an NHL player tucked away in the AHL during the lockout, it can be tough to keep up with the goings on with your locked out teammates. That isn’t the case for Capitals goalie Braden Holtby who has seen his teammates get in their own war of words thanks to the work stoppage.
Where does Holtby, who’s currently playing with the Caps farm team in Hershey, fall in this battle? You could say he’s on Team Brouwer as he shared with PHT on Saturday night.
“Everyone’s really entitled to their own opinion. I don’t blame anyone for what they said,” Holtby said. “It’s a good thing Brouwer is more involved with the whole situation. It’s good to hear him speak up and back the union because that’s what we need right now.”
While he backs up Brouwer, he agrees with Donald Fehr when it comes to guys speaking their mind.
“I wouldn’t blame it on anyone [to speak their mind], but it’s very good to see that the guys that are actually doing something in the meetings are sticking up for the rights of the players and that’s what Troy did.”
Whether or not this whole thing will have adverse consequences when the lockout is something that will bear watching. After all, Hamrlik is one of their top six defensemen and Neuvirth will be competing with Holtby for the starting job in Washington.
If nothing else, training camp in Washington, whenever it happens, has turned into must-see TV.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)