Nov 25, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
When you’re an NHL player tucked away in the AHL during the lockout, it can be tough to keep up with the goings on with your locked out teammates. That isn’t the case for Capitals goalie Braden Holtby who has seen his teammates get in their own war of words thanks to the work stoppage.
Where does Holtby, who’s currently playing with the Caps farm team in Hershey, fall in this battle? You could say he’s on Team Brouwer as he shared with PHT on Saturday night.
“Everyone’s really entitled to their own opinion. I don’t blame anyone for what they said,” Holtby said. “It’s a good thing Brouwer is more involved with the whole situation. It’s good to hear him speak up and back the union because that’s what we need right now.”
While he backs up Brouwer, he agrees with Donald Fehr when it comes to guys speaking their mind.
“I wouldn’t blame it on anyone [to speak their mind], but it’s very good to see that the guys that are actually doing something in the meetings are sticking up for the rights of the players and that’s what Troy did.”
Whether or not this whole thing will have adverse consequences when the lockout is something that will bear watching. After all, Hamrlik is one of their top six defensemen and Neuvirth will be competing with Holtby for the starting job in Washington.
If nothing else, training camp in Washington, whenever it happens, has turned into must-see TV.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)