Oct 25, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Beyond that? He’s not 100 percent sure.
It does appear, however, that SM-liiga club Tappara is in the running for van Riemsdyk’s services. That’s what the 23-year-old told the Toronto Star on Wednesday, saying his agent has been in talks with the Finnish side.
“I’m think it would be a pretty cool experience,” he said of the chance to play overseas. “I was able to play in Europe seven or eight times in my time with the U.S. developmental program.
“We’re still working out details on stuff and (seeing) what happens here. When it gets to that bridge, we’ll cross it.”
Tappara recently agreed to terms with former Minnesota Wild defenseman Kurtis Foster, an unrestricted free agent that failed to latch on with an NHL club prior to the lockout.
The Finnish team also employs ex-NHLer Ville Nieminen, who spent time with the Colorado Avalanche, Pittsburgh Penguins, Chicago Blackhawks, Calgary Flames, New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues over his seven-year career.
If he does sign with Tappara, van Riemsdyk will become the fifth Leaf to sign overseas during the lockout, joining Clarke MacArthur (Germany), Cody Franson (Sweden), Mikhail Grabovski (KHL) and Nikolai Kulemin (KHL).
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)