Oct 25, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Beyond that? He’s not 100 percent sure.
It does appear, however, that SM-liiga club Tappara is in the running for van Riemsdyk’s services. That’s what the 23-year-old told the Toronto Star on Wednesday, saying his agent has been in talks with the Finnish side.
“I’m think it would be a pretty cool experience,” he said of the chance to play overseas. “I was able to play in Europe seven or eight times in my time with the U.S. developmental program.
“We’re still working out details on stuff and (seeing) what happens here. When it gets to that bridge, we’ll cross it.”
Tappara recently agreed to terms with former Minnesota Wild defenseman Kurtis Foster, an unrestricted free agent that failed to latch on with an NHL club prior to the lockout.
The Finnish team also employs ex-NHLer Ville Nieminen, who spent time with the Colorado Avalanche, Pittsburgh Penguins, Chicago Blackhawks, Calgary Flames, New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues over his seven-year career.
If he does sign with Tappara, van Riemsdyk will become the fifth Leaf to sign overseas during the lockout, joining Clarke MacArthur (Germany), Cody Franson (Sweden), Mikhail Grabovski (KHL) and Nikolai Kulemin (KHL).
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 8
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 37
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)