Oct 25, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Beyond that? He’s not 100 percent sure.
It does appear, however, that SM-liiga club Tappara is in the running for van Riemsdyk’s services. That’s what the 23-year-old told the Toronto Star on Wednesday, saying his agent has been in talks with the Finnish side.
“I’m think it would be a pretty cool experience,” he said of the chance to play overseas. “I was able to play in Europe seven or eight times in my time with the U.S. developmental program.
“We’re still working out details on stuff and (seeing) what happens here. When it gets to that bridge, we’ll cross it.”
Tappara recently agreed to terms with former Minnesota Wild defenseman Kurtis Foster, an unrestricted free agent that failed to latch on with an NHL club prior to the lockout.
The Finnish team also employs ex-NHLer Ville Nieminen, who spent time with the Colorado Avalanche, Pittsburgh Penguins, Chicago Blackhawks, Calgary Flames, New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues over his seven-year career.
If he does sign with Tappara, van Riemsdyk will become the fifth Leaf to sign overseas during the lockout, joining Clarke MacArthur (Germany), Cody Franson (Sweden), Mikhail Grabovski (KHL) and Nikolai Kulemin (KHL).
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53