Oct 25, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Beyond that? He’s not 100 percent sure.
It does appear, however, that SM-liiga club Tappara is in the running for van Riemsdyk’s services. That’s what the 23-year-old told the Toronto Star on Wednesday, saying his agent has been in talks with the Finnish side.
“I’m think it would be a pretty cool experience,” he said of the chance to play overseas. “I was able to play in Europe seven or eight times in my time with the U.S. developmental program.
“We’re still working out details on stuff and (seeing) what happens here. When it gets to that bridge, we’ll cross it.”
Tappara recently agreed to terms with former Minnesota Wild defenseman Kurtis Foster, an unrestricted free agent that failed to latch on with an NHL club prior to the lockout.
The Finnish team also employs ex-NHLer Ville Nieminen, who spent time with the Colorado Avalanche, Pittsburgh Penguins, Chicago Blackhawks, Calgary Flames, New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues over his seven-year career.
If he does sign with Tappara, van Riemsdyk will become the fifth Leaf to sign overseas during the lockout, joining Clarke MacArthur (Germany), Cody Franson (Sweden), Mikhail Grabovski (KHL) and Nikolai Kulemin (KHL).
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)