Oct 12, 2012, 2:34 PM EDT
On Sunday, Oct. 28, over 20 NHL players will participate in a charity game at the University of Minnesota to raise funds for Defending The Blue Line, an organization ensuring children of military members can participate in the game of hockey.
It promises to be a star-studded affair.
George Parros, Clayton Stoner, Keith Ballard, Davis Drewiske, Jack Hillen, Stu Bickel, Darroll Powe, Justin Braun, Erik Johnson, Blake Wheeler, James Van Riemsdyk, Mikko Koivu, Stephane Veilleux, Mike Lundin, Chris Porter, Kyle Okposo, Paul Martin, Kyle Brodziak, Jim O’Brien, Cal Clutterbuck and Ryan Carter.
Now, for the interesting part — the date of the game is, as you might’ve noticed, Oct. 28…yet the NHL has only canceled games through Oct. 24.
Defending The Blue Line has addressed this issue:
In the event the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL & NHLPA is settled prior to the event, DTBL reserves the right to provide an alternate game, or convert the monies spent on event tickets to a charitable donation to DTBL.
Player list will be subject to change pending players taking contracts in Europe or other markets.
So there’s the disclaimer.
At same time, you have to wonder where the players’ heads are at with regards to a deal getting done, given that 22 of them have verbally committed to playing on the 28th.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)