Oct 12, 2012, 2:34 PM EST
On Sunday, Oct. 28, over 20 NHL players will participate in a charity game at the University of Minnesota to raise funds for Defending The Blue Line, an organization ensuring children of military members can participate in the game of hockey.
It promises to be a star-studded affair.
George Parros, Clayton Stoner, Keith Ballard, Davis Drewiske, Jack Hillen, Stu Bickel, Darroll Powe, Justin Braun, Erik Johnson, Blake Wheeler, James Van Riemsdyk, Mikko Koivu, Stephane Veilleux, Mike Lundin, Chris Porter, Kyle Okposo, Paul Martin, Kyle Brodziak, Jim O’Brien, Cal Clutterbuck and Ryan Carter.
Now, for the interesting part — the date of the game is, as you might’ve noticed, Oct. 28…yet the NHL has only canceled games through Oct. 24.
Defending The Blue Line has addressed this issue:
In the event the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL & NHLPA is settled prior to the event, DTBL reserves the right to provide an alternate game, or convert the monies spent on event tickets to a charitable donation to DTBL.
Player list will be subject to change pending players taking contracts in Europe or other markets.
So there’s the disclaimer.
At same time, you have to wonder where the players’ heads are at with regards to a deal getting done, given that 22 of them have verbally committed to playing on the 28th.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 14
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 19
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (131)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)