Oct 24, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture is having a blast playing for Geneva in the Swiss National A League — so much, in fact, that he’s perfectly content to stay there.
“Every hockey player wants to play in the NHL. It’s a childhood dream for every Canadian,” Couture explained to the Globe and Mail. “We want to reach a deal but if it doesn’t happen, I’ll be happy to continue playing in Geneva.”
Couture has paced Geneva to first place in the Swiss league — seven points clear of second-place Zurich — and has done it in style, scoring 10 points in 10 games.
He, along with former Columbus forward Dan Fritsche (7G-9A-16PTS) are at the heart of a team loaded with NHL experience (Rico Fata, Brian Pothier, Tony Salmelainen, Alex Picard) and steadied on the back-end by Montreal Canadiens defenseman Yannick Weber, Geneva’s other lockout signing.
The experience of playing overseas has been enjoyable for Couture — something we’ve heard more and more from various locked-out NHLers in various European leagues.
That said, it’s clear the European experience is not for everybody.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)