Oct 24, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture is having a blast playing for Geneva in the Swiss National A League — so much, in fact, that he’s perfectly content to stay there.
“Every hockey player wants to play in the NHL. It’s a childhood dream for every Canadian,” Couture explained to the Globe and Mail. “We want to reach a deal but if it doesn’t happen, I’ll be happy to continue playing in Geneva.”
Couture has paced Geneva to first place in the Swiss league — seven points clear of second-place Zurich — and has done it in style, scoring 10 points in 10 games.
He, along with former Columbus forward Dan Fritsche (7G-9A-16PTS) are at the heart of a team loaded with NHL experience (Rico Fata, Brian Pothier, Tony Salmelainen, Alex Picard) and steadied on the back-end by Montreal Canadiens defenseman Yannick Weber, Geneva’s other lockout signing.
The experience of playing overseas has been enjoyable for Couture — something we’ve heard more and more from various locked-out NHLers in various European leagues.
That said, it’s clear the European experience is not for everybody.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 32
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 38
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- NBA: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0