Oct 24, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture is having a blast playing for Geneva in the Swiss National A League — so much, in fact, that he’s perfectly content to stay there.
“Every hockey player wants to play in the NHL. It’s a childhood dream for every Canadian,” Couture explained to the Globe and Mail. “We want to reach a deal but if it doesn’t happen, I’ll be happy to continue playing in Geneva.”
Couture has paced Geneva to first place in the Swiss league — seven points clear of second-place Zurich — and has done it in style, scoring 10 points in 10 games.
He, along with former Columbus forward Dan Fritsche (7G-9A-16PTS) are at the heart of a team loaded with NHL experience (Rico Fata, Brian Pothier, Tony Salmelainen, Alex Picard) and steadied on the back-end by Montreal Canadiens defenseman Yannick Weber, Geneva’s other lockout signing.
The experience of playing overseas has been enjoyable for Couture — something we’ve heard more and more from various locked-out NHLers in various European leagues.
That said, it’s clear the European experience is not for everybody.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights