Oct 24, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture is having a blast playing for Geneva in the Swiss National A League — so much, in fact, that he’s perfectly content to stay there.
“Every hockey player wants to play in the NHL. It’s a childhood dream for every Canadian,” Couture explained to the Globe and Mail. “We want to reach a deal but if it doesn’t happen, I’ll be happy to continue playing in Geneva.”
Couture has paced Geneva to first place in the Swiss league — seven points clear of second-place Zurich — and has done it in style, scoring 10 points in 10 games.
He, along with former Columbus forward Dan Fritsche (7G-9A-16PTS) are at the heart of a team loaded with NHL experience (Rico Fata, Brian Pothier, Tony Salmelainen, Alex Picard) and steadied on the back-end by Montreal Canadiens defenseman Yannick Weber, Geneva’s other lockout signing.
The experience of playing overseas has been enjoyable for Couture — something we’ve heard more and more from various locked-out NHLers in various European leagues.
That said, it’s clear the European experience is not for everybody.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)